Red Sea - Lots of juicy pics :-) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old August 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Trustee

Red Sea - Lots of juicy pics :-)

Hey guys

Well I just thought I'd post some images from my weeks diving in the Red Sea (Marsa Alam). It was a fantastic experience and the turtles we saw were just such a treat. We did our first caves and saw some amazing reefs and were gobsmacked by the volume and variety of life on the reefs. As UK divers its certainly a big surprise when you jump into that 30 degree/25+ meter viz !
Attached Thumbnails
Red Sea - Lots of juicy pics :-)-blue_spotted_ray_b_low.jpg   Red Sea - Lots of juicy pics :-)-cave_exit_low.jpg  

Red Sea - Lots of juicy pics :-)-green_turtle_low.jpg   Red Sea - Lots of juicy pics :-)-green_feeding_low.jpg  

Red Sea - Lots of juicy pics :-)-hawksbill_low.jpg   Red Sea - Lots of juicy pics :-)-reef-orangefish_low.jpg  

Red Sea - Lots of juicy pics :-)-lion_fish_low.jpg   Red Sea - Lots of juicy pics :-)-school-wreck_low.jpg  

Last edited by Mat Thompson; August 11th, 2008 at 06:30 PM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Mat,

Great pictures you have there. It must have been an awesome experience.
Thank you for sharing.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Beautiful images Mat, thank you.

Incidentally, were there any diving birds in the area; gannets, guillemots, puffins, fish-eagles, cormorants etc?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Trustee

Hey Brendan

Yes I saw a Osprey on 2 days I was there hunting along the reef. I spoke to a marine biologist about them and she said they are a smaller African species and take reef fish along the shores of the Red Sea. Also Cormorants if I remember rightly. Apparently later in the year there are certain places to see many African migrants coming through as the biologist was a bit of a birder too I think!

One night I also saw the biggest hawk moth I've ever seen. It was very pretty and the size of the palm of your hand!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Mat, excellent photos. Must have been an awesome experience. Thanks for posting.
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Wrangler

Turtles are my very favorite sea creatures, looks as if you had some very close moments, I'm jealous....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
.... I saw a Osprey on 2 days I was there hunting along the reef. I spoke to a marine biologist about them and she said they are a smaller African species and take reef fish along the shores of the Red Sea. Also Cormorants if I remember rightly. Apparently later in the year there are certain places to see many African migrants coming through as the biologist was a bit of a birder too I think!

One night I also saw the biggest hawk moth I've ever seen. It was very pretty and the size of the palm of your hand!
Forgive me for hogging this thread somewhat, Mat, but I always prefer personal experience to any travel guide ... for years I've wanted to visit & video bird migration in Red Sea area
and I would appreciate any comments on (1) convenient airport (2) car hire options (3) convenient modest accommo options and anything relevant you think of. If you have found a particular website or tour operator knows the answers that'll do fine ....
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land