Shutter speed for bird in flight slow motion? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old November 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Shutter speed for bird in flight slow motion?

Hi all,

Can anyone please let me know what should be the right shutter speed when shooting big birds like crans in flight, slow motion, 720 25p at 60 fps. (I am using the Sony EX3).

Thanks,

Ofer Levy Nature Photographer
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Ofer,
Don't quote me, but i thought the EX3 would do 720 50P. I would be using that if it does. Also, if ther'es enough light, i would be looking at upping the frames per second to atleast 100. On that note, i have read that it is best to match your frame rates to the mode you're shooting ie. 50hz 25fps/50fps and so on. for 60hz it would be 30fps/60fps and so on. Again don't quote me on that, hopefully someone else can clarify that. One thing is for sure, switching the fps to 60fps even on a 50hz camera and pointing it at a light in north America takes away all the flickering you will see shooting the same at 50fps.

Regards,

Bryce
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #3
Major Player

I usually record at 720 25P and the shutter set to 1/50.
When I make slowmotion, I set the camera to 60fps and it automaticly switches the shutter to 1/60 but that makes flicker when I record fishes in my aquarium with HMI ligt.
(I´m in 50hz land)
Therefore i record without shutter in the HMI light - why there is any difference in flickering I cannot tell. I thougt the camera would record 60 fps with 60 frame per second and that would be the same. Some claims that it would only record 50 fps maximum but i doubt it - because you can turn the overcrank knob all the way to 60 fps and is looks slower.
Anyone made good slomo's with 1/100 shutter on ? guess it would a matter of taste!
..........bo
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The EX3 can set the shutter to an angle rather than a speed also. So just set it to 180 degrees and it'll change when you change frame rates, and alway be double the frame rate - ie 60fps will be 1/120 sec, 25fps will be 1/50th. 180 degrees is the standard way of doing things, best compromise between blur of too slow a speed and jitteryness of too fast a one.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
The EX3 can set the shutter to an angle rather than a speed also. So just set it to 180 degrees and it'll change when you change frame rates, and alway be double the frame rate - ie 60fps will be 1/120 sec, 25fps will be 1/50th. 180 degrees is the standard way of doing things, best compromise between blur of too slow a speed and jitteryness of too fast a one.
Steve

Thanks guys !
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Ofer,
Just to clarify, what i was trying to say, but was obviously up way to late when i was posting my response to your question was: Go with 50p with shutter at 1/100th sec or 60P at 1/120th sec shutter speed. There i said it right. Wasn't that hard after all. I must remember to go to bed earlier of a night i think! :)

Bryce

P.S. Bob was right with his description of the flickering when using 60P @ 1/60th shutter in Pal land. I have seen this here in North America using a 50i setting on the camera where there is lighting involved (60hz area). This issue obviously wouldn't be a problem filming birds in flight, however, there would i imagine be a problem playing it back if it is filmed at the wrong rate for the area you live in.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land