Sigma Zooms at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old November 26th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sigma Zooms

About to purchase my zoom lens,
1. 100-300 f4 52.2oz
2. 120-300 f2.8 91.7oz
can anyone persuade me into one or the other. Shooting various kinds of wildlife using a
JVC hd-100. thanks for the help
Jason Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi
I can only say that I use the Sigma 120-300mm 2,8 and it works great. The lens make very crispy pictures with the iris at 5,6 - 11 where it is sharpest. Sometimes I use a teleconverter and the 2,8 makes it possible to work with it. I have an Sony EX3.
..............bo
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #3
Trustee

Jason,
never used any of the lenses you got here, but I very happy with the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and Sigma 150mm macro 1:1 f2.8
I use them with a Canon XLH1.

My opinion is that Sigma lenses are as good as e.g. Canon originals when used on camcorders IMHO!
My advise will be to try them both out if possible. And I think that fast lenses are better, so I think the the 120-300 will be my bet! In wildlife filming you often want to record in dawn and dusk where the light can be poor.
I also heard that these zoom lenses can be a little soft at the 300mm end!

I would also recommend you to get some rain-protection for your lens. The Sigma's is not waterproof like the Canon L-lenses.

Good luck, keep us informed about how it goes!
Old November 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Per, you mention a rain cover for the lens, are Sigma lenses less durable in outdoor environments, maybe I would be better off with a Nikon instead? I have read that you use a Ronsrail, are there any options out there for me for lens support, I was looking at Cavision rod system, but now I dont think its what I am looking for. Any advice with lens support would be very helpful.
Old November 28th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #5
Trustee

Well, it's not that bad! Only a few times in real severe weather (e.g. blizzard or heavy rain) I've discovered some light dense inside the front glass of the Sigma lens. And this only happend after several hours in this situation. Most people don't even go out in weather like that, but stupid me did!

Unfortunately Ronsrail is out of business. I'm not aware of any manufacture doing this kind of rails today.

As a note, I'm not using the rail, on my shortest 35mm lenses! The Sigma 70/200mm f2.8, Sigma 150mm macro f2.8 and the Canon 300mm f4.0
This lenses are as light as the original 20x and I have few problems handling them without the rail. In this way I can also exchange them rapidly, which I can't do if I use the rail.

The only situation I use the rail is on lenses, like Sigma/Canon 300mm f2.8 and beyond! This lenses are too heavy to attach to the camcorder without any support for it's own leg!

Just to give you a sample. This short video of the Golden Eagle is shoot with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. Mostly at the telephotoend. I didn't use any rail support. Shoot from a hide at a distance of approx. 20-25 meter

http://www.video-film.no/snutter/kongeorn.html

or if you prefer Vimeo:
http://www.vimeo.com/1011529
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Trustee

The Sigma 100-300 f/4 gets a really good user report here.
FM Reviews - APO 100-300mm f4 EX IF HSM
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

My rail attachment for XL2/ Tamron 300 mm

Hi

My solution to attach a Canon XL2/Tamron 300 mm on a Vinten tripod.
The bevel gear box is used to focus the lens, the end ratio is 3 to 1 but in changing the little gear i can obtain 6 to 1. I have to do a knob to turn the axis and a support. The rail come directly in place on the fluid head without adapter (it's a dove tail machined for the Vinten).
I have a set of holds to compensate the heigt difference between the Cam and the lens.
All the parts have to be anodized.
The ring gear is a 120 tooth M1 and the little is a 40 M1 i have machined a 30 and a 20 M1 to obtain ratio 3/1, 4/1, 6/1. The total weight is 1200 g.
Attached Thumbnails
Sigma Zooms-img_0877.jpg   Sigma Zooms-img_0883.jpg  

Attached Images

Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Best support solution is just to get a flat piece of aluminium, get an engineer to bore a few holes in it and there you go.
Both those Sigmas are known to be good ones, just a question of how much you need the 2.8 and how well you can cope with the extra weight.
Personally on a small chip camera I'd be wary of going below 5.6 (8 at the outside) as you'll risk getting diffraction problems.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been searching around, is anyone familiar with ReallyRightStuff, in particular this camera/lens mount Really Right Stuff - Kennan Ward Super-Tele Package - Kit Configuration Page
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Jason,

Have a look at this link Wildeye Filmmaking Chat :: View topic - Ronsrail System
Its not about the ronsrail it deals more with the Kennan Ward

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #11
Major Player

As Mick pointed you in the direction of Wildeye and the RRS Long Lens Rail!

All I can say at this moment is that it looks like an excellent alternative, if not better, than the Ronsrail I seeked! RRS have been absolutely brilliant and I hope to have mine shortly!

I have used their photographic plates and brackets for my stills in the past and have found them second to none!

As soon as it's here I'll post letting everyone know!

Just a quick comment regards to the Sigma Lenses; 1) the 100-300mm f/4 can front focus so check if you purchase that one! 2) the 120-300mm f2.8 is a cracker and I regret selling mine as it was a good copy (I'll probably end up getting another!).

Last edited by Paul Inglis; December 8th, 2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Nice to see you here Paul and yes, as Paul has mentioned, the RRS package is the way to go for us wildlife shooters. It is known to be much better than the Ronsrail....a little known fact as the RRS tele package itself is not that well-known.

I have yet to order mine as Im waiting for my long lens....still deciding between a Sigma 120-300, Sigma 300-800 or WAIT for a Canon FD 150-600...:(

Cheers

WeeHan
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi

The XL2 mounted and unmounted on the Vinten Vision 11. The dove tail fit directly on the head, the distance between the two support can be adjusted in lenght and lateral offset for the height i use holds.
Attached Images

Old December 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #14
Inner Circle

these are nicely made rails but if you use more than one type of lens they arre not very adjustable from the appearances of the picture!!

The ron's rail is totally adjustable as well as the one I use.

To me it is important to set up quickly and to be able to adjust to a different lens readily.

If you only use one lens then this one would be fine!!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/under-wat...d-blocker.html

At the bottom of these posts is a picture of the rail I use
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Dale

The slot is 200 mm long and the other is 50 mm long. I can adapt many lens, zoom and prime, i have a doubt for the 600 mm Canon prime lens, but you can do a bigger plate, for the height i use holds, that's more rigid than sliding rail. The two black parts are "quick clamps"

Regards

Gilles

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land