My "Highlight" of 2008 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 6th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My "Highlight" of 2008

I hope everyone had a safe and successful filming year in the the great outdoors. This past year was a very busy one for me with many trips and I was blessed with lots of exciting stuff. My most memorable footage came when I was hunkered down behind a log filming coyote pups at their den site. I was hoping to film one of the parents bringing food to the youngsters which would be very interesting. Suddenly I heard excited barking from a parent coyote to my left at least 100 yards away. The frantic barking and yapping continued and than shifted over to my right. By now the pups had disapeared from sight and I thought my scent had alerted the parents. Imagine my surprise when suddenly 4 large brown, black bears ( a mother with her 3 two and a half year old cubs ) broke out of the bush and came over to investigate the den. The mother coyote was desperate now, running back and forth trying to lure the bears away. A couple of times a bear would charge her and at one point the coyote ran within 30 feet of me. The den site and the bears were at 25 yards. This whole sequence lasted for 3 minutes until the bears finally got wind of me and took off fast with the coyote after them. When I viewed the footage I knew I had filmed something very rare and once in a lifetime. The scenes were well lit, tack sharp and steady. The camera I used was the Canon XLH1.

Happy filming everyone.

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Your experience sounded great, wish I could see the video.
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Sounds like an amazing and wonderful experience Leon. More so that you recorded it all without issues. I think we all have such moments, it just seems like my last one was a while back.

If you feel like sharing even a few seconds here, I'm sure many would be grateful to see.

best,

Nick.
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I wish I could share the experience, however, where I live I'm unable to send pictures or watch internet video do to the phone line dial-up connection that I have here in the bush. You can be sure the footage will be in a film in the near future. There is short low resolution video clips of other wildlife stuff on my website to view.

By the way, I would love to hear the "Highlight" of 2008 from you folks out there and I also would like to thank Chris Hurd for this excellent video forum.

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Major Player

I'd love to share, but being new to this video world, I've got nothing to add that is relevant.

I have ad some great experience with bears, elephants and other wildlife in the more distant past, but in my 'still' world only.

Nick.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land