A very Target Rich Environment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Major Player

A very Target Rich Environment

I spent two hours Saturday filming the Sitka Sound Herring Sac Roe Fishing opener. A limited entry, gun firing start, where Commercial Fishing boats jocky for position, then race to their favorite spot. Ramming each other, and eventually running over each others gear. Here is a short sample on Youtube in HD: YouTube - 2009 Sitka Sound Herring Sac Roe Fishery in HD 1080p
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

David,

That is just insane!!!!! Is it salmon they are netting???
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Insane ,Yes!

Dale,

They are fishing for Herring, or I should say the Herring eggs which are sold to Japan at a very high price. Millions of dollars are made in a few hours of fishing. I shot 6 hours of footage in three days. Including net repair, sample taking, Birds, Sea Lions, and other pre-fishery preparations. There were around fifty fishing boats & processors in a very small area. Collisions are numerous. At to the mix, eight fish spotter planes, sea lions, whales and hundreds of Bald Eagles. I got some great shots of Bald Eagles diving into the fishing nets and stealing herring.

The Herring will begin spawning on our local beaches this week. Alaska Natives will begin harvesting some of those eggs by placing tree limbs in the ocean for the herring to spawn on, or by using throwing nets. There is so much to film here, that it's hard to decide where to point the camera.

During the last two years, National Geographic, BBC, Discovery Channel, and a French outfit had big crews here filming. No one came this year. I got it all to myself.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rice View Post
Dale,

The Herring will begin spawning on our local beaches this week. Alaska Natives will begin harvesting some of those eggs by placing tree limbs in the ocean for the herring to spawn on, or by using throwing nets. There is so much to film here, that it's hard to decide where to point the camera.

During the last two years, National Geographic, BBC, Discovery Channel, and a French outfit had big crews here filming. No one came this year. I got it all to myself.

The BBC broadcast their spectacular program of the mass herring spawning recently. It was one of a series called "Nature's Great Events".
Alan Craven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land