Bobcat Surprise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Bobcat Surprise

I was out shooting some birds early morning last week at an Elderberry bush loaded with ripe berries, and during a slow moment while looking around I spotted movement on a hill side about 250+ yards away. Not quite sure exactly what kind of critter it was, I pulled the camera over, locked on to it at wide angle, then zoomed in at the full 400mm, and saw one of the best looking bobcat I had seen in this area. Shot with an XL H1 with a Nikon 80-400mm lens, and given the piece of junk head I'm working with, it was a struggle to get decent pan and tilt movement out of it, besides telling myself to just calm down and don't get a death grip on the control arm. I guess getting something that's not totally perfect is better than getting nothing at all. I have uploaded the clip to Exposure Room and can be seen at:

BOBCAT By Don DesJardin On ExposureRoom

Bobcats in this area must be doing well, because this was the fifth one I have seen since spring, but this is the first I have been able to get a camera on.
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Don,

As you say not perfect but definately acceptable, the oportunity presented its self and you captured it. I enjoyed watching the clip

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:01 AM   #3
Major Player

A Lynx, Not a Bobcat

Don, where was this shot? This cat is a lynx of some sort, probably a Canada Lynx. They are much larger than Bobcats, with longer tufted ears and no body spots, except for the black streaks on their underparts. It's possible it may be an escapee from captivity. There are other species of lynx in the World, that may be held in zoos or private collections, such as the African Caracal, or Siberian Lynx. I don't think any occur naturally in So. California, although a few Canada Lynx have been detected in Oregon by remote-triggered cameras. Maybe you've documented a new extension of their range? Good catch, whatever its history is.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Shucks! Would have been my first bobcat. But so what, it's my first American lynx and a joy to watch, thank you Don.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Stephen,
Yes, it's a Bobcat, and has been verified by the local USF&W office here. Just do a Google search and look at images, and you'll see the difference. The nearest Lynx to Southern California would be 1,000+ miles north in Oregon or Northern Colorado , if they are even there anymore. Glad you liked it. Also Brendan, how has the new camera worked out for you.....Don
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Sony V1E on a tripod produces finest detail I have seen ... I will be testing it handheld for birdflight in September ... neater than XM2 and half the weight of XL2 but there's a lot more to be learned, as usual, about filtering, white balance, zebra lines, shutter speeds etc etc. Specifically for birdflight I'll have to compile 1 or 2 useful settings (one for cloudy Ireland, other for the sunny Med) and stick to them.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land