HD vs SD for wildlife filming - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old October 26th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #76
Major Player

Thanks Mick. I've just looked that up, and can see that it wasn't available at the time I bought the Canon A1 or it would have been given serious consideration (if I could have afforded it).
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #77
Trustee

I did note the Sony Z7s... mounted on, er, Manfrotto 503 tripods. There's a good combination.

And yes... "The Apprentice in the Wilderness" theme didn't really work in my opinion. I never knew Nick Knowles was a wildlife expert. A man of many talents, it seems.
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
I think almost all the six-part 'Natures Great Events' was filmed using mainly the HDC-1500.url]
Almost all of Nature;s Great Events was shot on tape Varicam. This is the case for most BBC nature output for the last few years. Last major thing on not on Varicam was "Nature of Britain" which we did on Super 16 (ah, those were the days!)

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #79
Trustee

As I mentioned earlier, the main cameras used by the ACS camermen in Nature’s Great Events were the HDC-1500 and HDC-950 HD cameras.

Here is a short review of equipment used:

Sony : HDC-1500 captures Nature?s Great Events : United Kingdom
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #80
Major Player

With reference to the Sony z7 and the BBC you might find the following interesting.
Note the lens used.
Sony : Simon King films with HVR-Z7E : United Kingdom

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #81
Trustee

Yes, Simon can often be seen using the Sony HVR-Z7E plus Canon HJ40 lens on the Springwatch and now on the Autumnwatch series.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #82
Inner Circle

Sorry Tony, when you said "I think almost all the six-part 'Natures Great Events' was filmed using mainly the HDC-1500" it implied the whole thing rather than just aerials.

Steve
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #83
Trustee

No problem at all, Steve, we were both correct. :)

Not that it matters of course, because I'm sure that both the Sony and Panosonic cameras mentioned could be used to film all the series from air & ground level and produce stunning footage that would be hard to tell apart on a HD screen.

Crazy when you think of it though, that the majority of people worldwide who watched that series and the latest 'Live' series, actually watched it in SD and not HD. Each of those HD cameras cost around £50,000 or more each, not including all the extras.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Well actually the Sonys couldn't do it really, as they don't have slomo, that's why we use Varicams.
I think most viewers would be amazed at just how much off-speed material is shot, even if it's just 30-40fps to take the edge of the movement of camera and subject. It's only when shooting ultra highspeed with Phantoms and the like that people even realise it's happening. Flying birds for example are almost always shot in slomo (virtually 100%) usually at 60fps or so, even though it looks "normal" speed to the viewer.
Steve
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #85
Major Player

Jonathan,

I have both the Canon XL2 and the Canon 7D. The XL2 I have used for years and is permanently fixed to a Canon 300 mm f 2.8 FD lens. I have mainly used it for bird photography and as one of the other posters has mentioned you are always looking for more focal length. The main problem with such extreme focal lengths is Heat Haze and vibration, I use it with a Satchler studio 7+7 tripod head and if there are any "older gentlemen" on this thread they will know that this tripod head weights a ton but is excellent in following action.

I have just come back from a camping trip this weekend and was using the Canon 7D, like you I am wanting to cheaply upgrade my personal stock-footage library to include some HD shots. The first and most serious problem I encountered with the 7D was Viewfinder. The LCD is extremely difficult to see in bright sun conditions, so you would need to factor in the cost of an external LCD finder. The camera is excellent in doing time-lapse (by taking a series of stills), I tested it with a time-lapse of a rock formations and moon/stars and was shooting the time-lapse with a 60 sec exposure.

You have a very difficult decision to make, mainly do you go SD or HD. I think if it was just for my reel I would go SD 16:9 using the Canon XL2. The HD market is changing so rapidly I think you could buy one of the many HD cameras already mentioned, at half their price in a year or so time.

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #86
Inner Circle

Never thought of myself as an "older gentleman" Bob, but I suppose I must be as I know the Studio 7+7 well and you're right, it's an excellent head, old-school tough, about 10kg but worth carrying!
Steve
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #87
Major Player

For those that have not reached the "gentlemanly" age, the satchler will take a load of up to 110lbs and has a 150mm bowl

Bob
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #88
Major Player

Jonathon,

This link will give you an idea of what you could capture using a 7D in stills and video mode.

This video was shot on a 5D Mark 2 by Sandesh Kadur and in my opinion is an excellent example of combining both stills & video.

YouTube - Canon 5D Mark 2 - Wildlife - stills and HD 1080P

Bob
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #89
Trustee

Not bad, but the content of Sandesh Kadur's clip didn't impress me much. The quality of the video sections were very low to my eyes, even disregarding the jagged edges and ghosting during movements, with subdued colours and very soft - with a lack of impact in the footage. Obviously this was partly due to the webstream. I also feel that even the still images were OK, but nothing special.
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #90
Major Player

Tony,

I agree with your comments on the quality but it does show that you can structure a video using stills & video with just one camera. I feel Jonathan is looking for a low cost approach and this may give him some thoughts.

By using a cheap Canon 400mm f5.6 lens and shooting in raw you can obtain huge crops which are acceptable when edited with the video
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land