How do you Film the Sun? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
Dean not sure if it was a #14 but no way could you look at the midday sun through it.

Welding with only shorts you were taking a chance mate.But teenagers are teenagers i can just remember.
Yep, the welding thing was when I was younger and ignorant.

Here's NASA's recommendation regarding viewing an eclispse. It mentions the #14 filter, the same one recommended by the University of Hawaii astronomy department:

NASA - Eye Safety During Solar Eclipses

"One of the most widely available filters for safe solar viewing is a number 14 welder's glass, available through welding supply outlets."

There's more information at the website. As proven by my case of welding "sunburn", an arc welder throws off lots of UV, and so does the sun. Any filter used for viewing the sun has to provide that level of protection, and that's exactly what a welding filter does.

I'm not sure if the #14 filter comes in a size large enough to handle most camera lenses.
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Sorry I took so long to reply. Been very busy. I have no intention of looking at the sun in an unsafe way, but it looks like there is no real way to know when you can point the camcorder at the sun except experience so I will stick to low sunrises and sunsets.

Thanks a lot everyone for your help,

Caleb

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land