Video with a still camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 1st, 2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Video with a still camera

I don't know how many UWOLers have been thinking about one of those new DSLRs that shoot honest-to-goodness 24p or 30p HD video on a card that can hold up to an hour of footage. They have up to 18 mb sensors and cost a lot less than an XLH1, for example. I know I have been. The main drawback seems to be motion artifacts if anything moves faster than a snail, but the still photo guys are going gaga with their new-found toy. There is a site where these videos can be shown and critiqued, just like stills have always been.

NatureScapes.Net • View forum - NEW! Video Sharing and Discussion

The motion artifacts are definitely real. Look at the clips of Barred Owl and Red-tailed Hawk. Is this modality ready for prime time wildlife shooting yet?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #2
Major Player

I did get the 7D... I think that it will work fine for my type of stuff. I don't do any 60 min film (yet)... I don't got a UW housing for it now, but soon...

here is a test I did to se how it handels constant movement in the background... I think it works well...

Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Markus

Thanks for those interesting clips. Did you do the slow motion in camera or in post?
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Annie

I shot the slomo in 50p with a shutter speed of 50 and in post slowed it down to 40-50%, I think works...
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Markus: Whew! I am a simple civilian when it comes to movie making, but Markus, your little film had me Googling the D7. I've got about six, tiny, HD cams that I've been using to make grips for my kite surfing .. a G9 and a 10D for stills, but the D7 - tho' not able to hang off a kite - could stimulate me to do something better than I am doing now.

While doing the search there was another example that looked (to this civilian) as if could have been shoulder-shot ..
Again, to my limited exposure; these two 'films' look fantastic. Good for you.

My favorite part of your film was the closeups of the Phragmites .. the weeds in the marsh. I am the proud, ahem, owner of about four acres (2 hectares) of these. The movement of the swan's head and neck also stays in your head.

Nicely done. Thanks for the look.

Jim
Jim Cancil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land