DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   XL2 Underwater (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/47387-xl2-underwater.html)

Matthew Nayman July 8th, 2005 10:13 AM

XL2 Underwater

Looking for an Underwater housing for XL2. Seen the EWA bag. Looks good but it's $1000. Anyone know of any cheaper makes or underwater housing rental places? Jsut checking.

Matt

Chris Hurd July 8th, 2005 10:37 AM

$1000 is about the least expensive price I've ever seen for any sort of underwater device for a camcorder as large as the XL2. Usually they're much higher. Gates makes one for the XL1/XL1S that sold for about $8000. Your camera is an expensive piece of equipment so you really shouldn't skimp on the cost of a proper, sound, safe housing. If this is for a one-time or occasional shoot, then rental is probably your most affordable alternative.

Michael Salzlechner July 8th, 2005 11:54 AM

Matt

the EWA bags are cute but not really much for real underwater use.

If you really want to go under water with the XL2 one of the professional UW housings would be it. As chris said they are way more than 1K. I agree with Chris if you only need it once or twice it will be best to probably rent one.

Meryem Ersoz July 8th, 2005 04:05 PM

i have a ewa bag for my gl2 and like it very much for what it is...but would not use one with my xl2. only use what you can afford to use....

Joe Winchester July 8th, 2005 09:34 PM

I used the EWA bag for my old XL-1 underwater. I've been down to 50 feet (the Gulf of mexico is shallow :P ) and up to the surface, in pools, in the rain, at the beach, etc. etc. And it's always functioned perfectly. It is VERY important to check and recheck that the seal is tight and working. Some of the usability is goofy, pressing record and all, but basically it's a great deal for the price.

One piece of advice: buy several 5 - 10lb diving weights to put in the bottom of the bag! That camera will float! I was wearing 50lbs of weight on my waist, 25lbs of weight in the bag and no air in my B.C. and i was still floating! it's difficult to get all the air out of the bag.

Matthew Nayman July 10th, 2005 10:45 PM

Actually I want the cam to float incase I drop it. I am filming a short on a boat and don't want to lose my cam.

Anyone know of a Toronto Rental house for an XL2 housing?

I think EWA will be fine. I am just shooting surface stuff, maybe 3 feet underwater at most.

Matthew Nayman July 10th, 2005 10:47 PM

Joe, would you be willing to rent me your EWA bag. I would be willing to negotiate price and pay shipping. Also, reimbursment incase of damage. (Would have impartial third party sign off on damage upon return).

Joe Winchester July 12th, 2005 08:38 PM

Sorry, we're actually in production on a feature-length film for the next two months. This waterproof housing is invaluable to me shooting in florida where it rains every afternoon and lots of sand blowing around on the beach. We're also shooting a few scenes in the water.

Matthew Nayman July 13th, 2005 07:49 AM

Thanks Anyway,

Matt :)