XL2 Underwater at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 8th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #1
Major Player

XL2 Underwater

Looking for an Underwater housing for XL2. Seen the EWA bag. Looks good but it's $1000. Anyone know of any cheaper makes or underwater housing rental places? Jsut checking.

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

$1000 is about the least expensive price I've ever seen for any sort of underwater device for a camcorder as large as the XL2. Usually they're much higher. Gates makes one for the XL1/XL1S that sold for about $8000. Your camera is an expensive piece of equipment so you really shouldn't skimp on the cost of a proper, sound, safe housing. If this is for a one-time or occasional shoot, then rental is probably your most affordable alternative.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Matt

the EWA bags are cute but not really much for real underwater use.

If you really want to go under water with the XL2 one of the professional UW housings would be it. As chris said they are way more than 1K. I agree with Chris if you only need it once or twice it will be best to probably rent one.
Old July 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #4
Wrangler

i have a ewa bag for my gl2 and like it very much for what it is...but would not use one with my xl2. only use what you can afford to use....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I used the EWA bag for my old XL-1 underwater. I've been down to 50 feet (the Gulf of mexico is shallow :P ) and up to the surface, in pools, in the rain, at the beach, etc. etc. And it's always functioned perfectly. It is VERY important to check and recheck that the seal is tight and working. Some of the usability is goofy, pressing record and all, but basically it's a great deal for the price.

One piece of advice: buy several 5 - 10lb diving weights to put in the bottom of the bag! That camera will float! I was wearing 50lbs of weight on my waist, 25lbs of weight in the bag and no air in my B.C. and i was still floating! it's difficult to get all the air out of the bag.
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Actually I want the cam to float incase I drop it. I am filming a short on a boat and don't want to lose my cam.

Anyone know of a Toronto Rental house for an XL2 housing?

I think EWA will be fine. I am just shooting surface stuff, maybe 3 feet underwater at most.
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Joe, would you be willing to rent me your EWA bag. I would be willing to negotiate price and pay shipping. Also, reimbursment incase of damage. (Would have impartial third party sign off on damage upon return).
Old July 12th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sorry, we're actually in production on a feature-length film for the next two months. This waterproof housing is invaluable to me shooting in florida where it rains every afternoon and lots of sand blowing around on the beach. We're also shooting a few scenes in the water.
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Anyway,

Matt :)
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land