Getting Into Wildlife Films - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 14th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Cees, might you be able to find a market making DVDs of certain subjects? This is certainly very doable these days and could be something you do when you have the time rather than doing full time.
As with a lot of jobs, doing it full time is often not as enjoyable as doing it for fun! You often find that you need to use bigger, heavier gear, shoot subjects that you're not that excited about and not have time to do other things you want to do. Not saying it's an awful job by any means, though!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #17
Major Player

Steve, Thanks for the suggestion. I believe you are right about dvd markets. it is actually what I did with the kingfisher project: dvd with book. It would actually be a good idea to try to sell it more internationally. Will do a search to find publishers/distributors in other European countries to assist me. I would also be very willing to send you a copy of the production if you let me know to where to send it (use my e-mail). (Same to you Mat). And about your remark that you do not always like the subjects to film when you do it fultime: that is one of the reasons to have the ambition to be producer at the same time. To create owm productions. I believe I am too self-willed to follow instructions :-) That is the route I like to work out and regarding the fun factor, I am very, very willing to take the risk of doing it full time.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #18
Major Player

Finally i am a member on here, as the topic is getting into wildlife films.

I have tried to look at this for past one year and have decided on making it with DSLRs , is it a feasible option to take making full wildlife films with DSLRs.
For Lenses i am talking about wide of 17 to a tele of 800 and 5D M II.
Have been impressed with the quality it produces, but have to agree to it that it is a big challange to film .

Wanted your advise on
1) Do you think its feasible to make a full Wildlife film with DSLRs
2) Market for them

This is a self funded venture and i am not yet into it full time , working on a day job and filming , editing , research and other things around it.
Planning to get into it full time but in few years time.
"Cees van Kempen" i read that you did work on a kingfishers film sometime back, thats the subject i am working on however am unable to find a field expert in it in India, making it a difficult job.

Would welcome all advice i can get on the above.

Thanks
Vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I think it just depends on what your standards are and what market you're aiming for. For broadcast it might be tricky as the codecs in DSLRs are not great. For wildlife shooting in general with telephoto lenses you may have big problems with rolling shutter skew making everything wobble. Also outdoors focussing via the LCD screen is going to be tricky. On the 5D there is no slow motion which for me at least rules it out completely - better going with the 7D as you get 720/60P and better telephoto reach.
On the other hand if that's your budget, then you'll end up with a film which otherwise would not be made.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #20
Major Player

Dear Vishal,

First of all I hope you make your dream come true. I have no opinion about filming a nature documentary with a dslr, since I have no experience with it.

It is not clear to me if you have any specific questions about the subject kingfishers for filming. If so, please let me know and I will try to give you any advice you need. (I was in Keoladeo national park in Bharatpur long time ago. Marvelous kingfisher paradise.)

Cees
Old October 6th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #21
Major Player

Cees

The Kingfishers i am working on is the Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher , there is only a records of them visiting certian areas in monsoon but no records of them year around.
I am looking at someone whom i can discuss the Movement Pattern of these birds.

cheers
vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #22
Major Player

Very, very interesting subject, Vishal. Alas I cannot be of any help, I have no knowledge at all of this species. Good luck with your search and I would really like to know when your project is going to come to life.
Old October 16th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #23
Major Player

Vishal,
It is a pretty colourful bird. It is a summer visitor along the base of the himalayas from NW Bengal, Assam, khasi hills.

Where did you photograph them in monsoons?

I am filming with a Mark IV, and can only say that it is not easy giving the handling quirks of the HD DSLRs vs camcorders.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #24
Major Player

Sabyasachi

We do find these birds in the Western Ghats, in the monsoons they come up the ghats to breed and in the other seasons they go down but always staying in the Western Ghats area.
The birds are silent in the non-nesting season and hence not very much observed, records show that the birds have been found in Summer in the lower reaches of the ghats around the Konkan area.

I have filmed them in the Western ghats top area in the monsoons, spent 13 weeks doing so to get some footage which is around 30 odd minutes with the birds. To get close to the bird imported a Nikkor 800 mm but then i could not trace the birds after that, Monsoons have been pretty heavy this time and the nesting records in most of the areas show damage to the nests due to excessive water.

I know its a amazing forest bird and will spend my years shooting this one to make a video on it.

Best regards
Vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land