Unique River Otter Clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old November 21st, 2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Unique River Otter Clip

My favorite River Otter Clips. Filmed in the middle of the day with a Canon HV20. The River Otter spent almost ten minutes in front of me, showing off, feeding, grooming, and even chasing and eating fish. At no time was the River Otter more than 30 feet from me. I was filming in plain sight, in direct sunlight. The Otter watched me walk up to him, and knew I was there the whole time. I have never seen anything like this before, nor since. A once in a lifetime shot.

David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Great shot.
I know the feeling when you get the shot "Once in a lifetime" Every second you are recording you think: now it is leaving - this is all you got - and then it is just staying. Thats what make nature filming worth living.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Great work, David. Thank-you for posting it.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi

Great Otter clip, i like it, i'm a video amatory.

In France it's very difficult to see River Otter in day light at 30 feet, we can expect only 100 feet in night light, i live in an Otter area and observing the "beast" its very difficult.

Where is this Otter paradise in Alaska "Sitka"? a very far country for me, as far than Chile ?

Only one remark, next time correct your horizontal level with your tripod, but that's just an observation.

The contents of your clip remain very instructive and i like the "cleaning shots".

Regards

Gilles
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Major Player

David, I liked this a lot. It's a very entertaining video to watch. Otters sometimes show no fear and may, as you say, like to show off a bit. Once, an otter came swimming by me and I got a couple of still photos, but I wasn't prepared for what happened next. It went underwater and surfaced no more than 5 feet in front of me and raised itself way up out of the water to look me right in the eye. I was so startled, I got no shot.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi David,
Amazing footage and beautifully produced, thanks for sharing. Loved everything about it, the filming, music and production. Congratulations!

Kayaking in Northern Florida a while ago with my wife, and two large black otters swam right up to us and looked us right in the eye. I had a 100-400mm lens on a 5D and tried to switch to a smaller lens because they were so close. By the time I had switched they were swimming away. We followed them for miles but could not catch up. Not a single shot, so goofed that one big time. Animals allow you to shoot, or they don't, so it's always a special honor when they do.

Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land