New challenges for wildlife videographers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old February 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Ryan,

If the usual suspects fail to produce at NAB, this may be the way to go.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #17
Major Player

Re: New challenges for wildlife videographers

The more I learn about the T3i, the more interested I am to learn about the 3-10x zoom option.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Major Player

I've been waiting for the GH2 (body only - I already have the GH1 + 14-140), and now, the T3i shows up with widespread availability and cheaper.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:01 PM   #19
Major Player

It might sell out. Who knows. Certainly a testament to the GH2's popularity, the fact that you can't buy one anywhere. They'll come though.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:53 AM   #20
Major Player

It's a DReb.... a mass market item. It's available in Best Buy and Walmart. It would not surprise me if Canon sells more T3i's in one month than how many GH2's are sold in a year.

The problem with the GH2, is that Panasonic simply isn't making that many, and most would seem to be selling in the 14-140 kits. Doesn't help that it's only available at 1/10 of the retailers that carry the T3i.
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #21
Major Player

I suppose that is a testament to the fact that video in DSLRs or EVILs are viewed by the market essentially as an extra feature, not the main purpose of the cameras. (duh, I know....)

When the GH2 can shoot stills like a Canon Rebel and uses abundant glass options, perhaps then it would be more available.
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #22
Major Player

I agree with most of the thoghts on the T3i as i too am tempted to get it, since i only do wildlife the past year collecting equipment has been a big challange and now the T3i comes up.

On the various focal lengths i use the Canon 5D M II with the 100-400, 105 sigma macro, and a 17-40 canon even have a canon 2x TC

to get more reach i went and added the Manual focus Nikkor 800 f/5.6 could get it in Japan and got a Nikon D7000 for it

Then i felt the base need to be able to shoot the travelling shots like driving through the roads and some under water POVs also some of my shooting is going to be in this Monsoons when i go with my car across various mountain roads and hence needed a POV which can shoot in Rains and under water , i went ahead and got a GoPro HD Hero kit and am pleased with its use which i planned.

however doing all this while shooting pans and zoom in zoom out were issues so were following the flight , there i got a PAnasonic HMC 82 to tied that gap. It just seems a unending list but i tell you i am very happy with the results that i am getting with this equipment

The T3i is typically what i am looking for if its what it really says the 3x and 10x since i use the 800 on my 5D with the mount i want to use the 800 over the T3i and i would get the closeups i need and also for places that i cant reach.

I guess with the whole DSLR world coming up and the sheer quality that it produces i would always make it with a DSLR however would use a POV camera for specific work and the proper video camera for specific uses including the pans that get me the jello effect in the DSLRs.

Anyone has any comments on the T3i (3x and 10x ) zoom
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #23
Major Player

Interesting discussion about T3i zoom feature here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ing-moire.html
Old March 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #24
Inner Circle

What an intersting thread!!!

For some shots or certain films a DSLR can do the job.

For action type outdoor filming I just do not see it for a number of reasons.

While waiting for the scarlet and it has been a couple years now (and one has to wonder about that) there is no guarentee that it will fill the bill for this kind of shooting, much of which is off the should.

Rather than thinking about a new camera it seems that a ki pro mini or a nano flash will keep numerous fine cameras in the field producing high end quality video.

Shooting off a 3ccd camera via sdi or hdmi at high bit rates will produce great images, even if it is a xlh1 or perhaps a sony Fx 1000 prosumer camera!!

When I get things right the footage I get from these cameras is as good as most stuff you see on TV.

For most of my shooting I actually want deeper depths of field.

We all obsess about getting better images, Think I can improve myself more than a new camera can improve me!

Rreckon??!!
Old March 13th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #25
Trustee

"We all obsess about getting better images, Think I can improve myself more than a new camera can improve me!"

Dale, you nailed it with this one. Right on. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:00 PM   #26
Major Player

With the continued shortage of the GH2, I gave up and picked up a T3i. It's paired up with the 50-500 but I also have the option of using the 120-300/2.8 depending on the light conditions.

So far, I'm quite impressed with the 3x digital zoom/crop. Hopefully the weather and the birds will co-operate for a good test soon.

Coming from a photography background rather than a video background, this is a big leap forward.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:21 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Kin-
I would be very interested in hearing how the 10x end of the 3-10x zoom looks. There has been a lot of reports/speculation on the GH2 x10 modes that it is really a 1:1 pixel sampling in video mode. It would be valuable to know if the T3i does the same or introduces zoom artifacts at the 10X end of the digital zoom.

Thanks
Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:23 PM   #28
Major Player

3x is definitely a crop mode, but I don't know about 10x. It's not just 1/10th the resolution, but it's a true 10x magnification and I know the T3i doesn't have that much resolution available. On the T2i, the 10x crop mode was only 640x480, but that probably wasn't a full 10x. The 18mp sensor is 5184 x 3456, so 1/10 would be 518 x 346.

3x looks pretty good, and 1920 out of 5184 is about 2.7x - close enough. Everything else is just up-rezing.

From stuff I've shot so far, 10x is a "better than nothing" fallback.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
We all obsess about getting better images, Think I can improve myself more than a new camera can improve me!

Rreckon??!!
True. I just got into the telephoto realm about a year ago...and with the tech moving the way it is, substantially different options are introduced every few months. But there is something to be said about the technique of a shooter has little to do with the camera and everything to do with the shooter himself.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
For most of my shooting I actually want deeper depths of field.
Shooting Wood Ducks today, I'm really appreciating that more. It's a lot easier to keep things in focus when DOF is deeper. I'm thinking I may use the tele-crop mode more on my T3i even when my lens is long enough... having a 50-500 zoom helps a lot too.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land