2011 Showreel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 12th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Major Player

2011 Showreel

Open for comments, I really reckon I could do with some advice on mixing audio. I'm just not that happy with it. Any good tips

Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 2011 Showreel

I don't see any problems with the audio mixing. I just think your choice of soundtrack is wrong. Too upbeat and bouncy for a film largely about sharks. At any rate, your underwater videography is so good, the soundtrack takes a back seat.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Trustee

I think the soundtrack works. In my mind I just want the audio there to set the mood and give something to cut to that reflects a personality. It does the job. There's enough variety of footage to keep it moving and it was obvious what you specialize in. And I must say all the footage looks great! If anything, consider changing to a second piece of music that's faster and make the edits over it fly.
I just went through the torture of putting my own reel together so I know how hard it is to finalize the edit. At some point you just have to trust that you're showing potential clients what they want to see. I think you're right on point.
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks both for your comments, regarding the pace of the track I have used slower pieces before and just thought that they lacked a bit of spark.
I actually tried with two different tracks but it did feel a little disjointed, I actually think it could do with a little audio from an interview or something to break it up and then change the track and pace.
Glad you guys liked the underwater footage.

Cheers

Jon
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Superb filming. Sound, although technically just as good, is not connecting with the footage. It's a little like asking a 90 year old to pose in a g-string.
Hubert Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Major Player

What an awful image I have in my head Hubert, would you have preferred a more dramatic, instrumental track?
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:05 AM   #7
Major Player

The part where the guy broke the bricks, the sound was right on. Underwater wildlife and techno somehow doesn't fit, because when you are under water looking at the strange world with the fish and the reefs and everything is moving a little slower, classical seems to be the key, for me anyways, it's like a ballet, but you do have a lot of different shots where it does fit. I was wishing some of the shots were a little longer, like when you were on the side of the ridge underwater with the school of little fish, that was cool. Are the underwater shots with the Canon A1? I've been filming a lot underwater with a little gopro, and need to find a way to get a water housing for my A1. Can't believe you are filming sharks at night, that is a little too rad.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Bill for the comments, yeah the Bull Sharks at night was a little sketchy!
Yep all the underwater stuff is the Canon A1 in a Gates Housing with SWP44 port.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land