Wildlife and Nature Blog at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old August 14th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Wildlife and Nature Blog

Now that I'm getting old and retired...

I have set up a Wildlife/Nature Blog where I will be uploading a weekly wildlife/nature video clip. Each video clip will have a short description about the wildlife, including information about filming the subject in Alaska. The Blog will be open to visiting cinematographers wishing to provide Alaska wildlife/nature content. In the future, I hope to offer some kind of Alaska Stock Video Clip Exchange, field equipment critiques, and information for cinematographers, on where and when to travel to Alaska for filming.

Any idea's or suggestions will be appreciated.
alaskavideo.blogspot.com.

Dave
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Wildlife and Nature Blog

David,

I enjoyed your blog immensely and have it bookmarked for checking in with it in the future.

I especially enjoyed the Shoreline Sea Life video. (Low tide on Texas beaches just reveals more trash from the Gulf of Mexico!) Did you use a slider?

How do you like your 60mm macro? My next lens will be a macro and I'm leaning towards the new Canon 100mm IS macro, but I wonder if I'd prefer the longer reach of a something like a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 OS or a Canon 180mm f.3.5 L. Do you have any comparative experience with either of those?

Alaska is an awesome place to film. I hope to be back next summer for a week or two in June. Had to cancel plans this year after some family issues came up unexpectedly.

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing with all of us.

Phil
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Wildlife and Nature Blog

All I own is a camera, a few lens, and tripod. No slider or other gear. I can see where a slider would be useful. But, I'm just a poor old retired fart.

The 60mm macro works good for a very close-up macro, but for anything else it's a poor lens. The lens takes terrible scenery shots even in the best conditions. I wouldn't use it for a portrait lens either. But, it can suck the eye lashes off a mosquito.

Lately I have been playing around with a three inch extension tube on my 100-400mm lens. It sounds crazy, but the extension tube drastically changes the focal length and allows me to make some very unique close-up shots. I'm disabled and no longer able to get down on the ground to film something. The use of the extension tube allows me to stand and use my tripod. It allows also me to film very small objects on the ground between 4-15 feet away. The extension tube has opened a whole new world to me. For fauna, invertebrates, and even birds.

Thanks for viewing the Blog. I just added some links on the side bar listing a few interesting non-profit organizations in Alaska offering wildlife filming opportunities. You don't need to get off the main road and enter the Bush to see and film wildlife in Alaska.
David Rice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land