Winter on the Tellico River at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 8th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Trustee

Winter on the Tellico River

The Tellico River is located in the Cherokee National Forest near Tellico Plains, Tennessee. This was my first trip to the river and was mainly a scouting expedition to its headwaters in preparation for filming kayaking this spring. I had carefully planned and picked a sunny day when the temperature would be in the 50’s in order to avoid ice and snow while traveling through the mountains. When got there I was amazed to find the river access road iced over. Not wanting to waste the trip I parked and began my hike up river and discovered some inspiring winter scenes. If you play full screen you can see how the Panasonic HPX170 holds up in HD. I realize this camera is "old tech" but its not too bad.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Winter on the Tellico River

excellent work..I have been a professional still photographer for almost 40yrs, and I like to see strong compositions in video, which I don't see as much as I would like too...you have it.
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks John, I appreciate the comment. I came from an extensive landscape photography background and its nice to know some of those composition skills have carried over into my video work.
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Trustee

Another winner. What a treat it was to watch it this morning. Question, how much footage do you shot per minute of final product? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Trustee

Bob, glad you enjoyed it. I shot about 30 minutes for this 1.5 minute short. That was during 4 hours of hiking up river.
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Nicely done; great compositions.

Nice music choice too; it sounds a bit similar to 'Brooks was here' from the Shawshank Redemption.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Simon, much appreciated.
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #8
Trustee

Mark, thanks for the information. 30 minutes seems like a very good ratio. I really think you shoot, edit and compose some of the most soothing videos I have seem. Please keep posting videos. Be safe. Bob
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Excellent video. I live in E. TN. Thank You for showing our mountain and river beauty !!! Very nicely done. You need to head on up to The Smoky Mtns. next time.
Tony Sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Trustee

Thanks Bob and Tony. I have about exhausted filming/photographing opportunities in North Ga over 35 years so I am beginning to expand into other states. From what I have seen so far TN is a beautiful state and one I plan to visit again.

Last edited by Mark Williams; January 11th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #11
Trustee

Be sure to visit Falls Creek Falls State Park in Tennessee, and get a cabin on the lake. You will love it. Bob
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #12
Trustee

Thanks Bob, doing the research now.
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,
Kudos on beautiful relaxing footage. I was admiring your work on Vimeo a few days ago and thinking that one day I may get to the same standard. As said above excellent compositions, I'm also from a photog background & recognize the skills. Also love the quality of the upload, I've struggled with that one. What bitrate settings are you using to upload to Vimeo Mark?
With kind regards,
Doug.
BaileyNatureGallery
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #14
Trustee

Thanks Doug. I have struggled for a long time to get what I consider optimum video on Vimeo. Some may say this is overkill but after hundreds of encodes for the web this is what works best for me considering the short videos I do.

Export from Edius 5.5 as a lossless file and import intoTMPGE 4 Xpress. Encode in TMPGE with Windows Media 9 and these settings:
2 pass CBR video at 16000 kbs: picture quality 100: picture quality/performance bar on "other" tab all the way to the right.
2 pass CBR audio at 320 kbps 44khz stereo

Last edited by Mark Williams; January 17th, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,
Sincere thanks for the info. I'm using PP5.5 so the settings are bit different. But the 16,000kbs was noted, so I'm using that now & think it's making a difference.

We did a trip to the Smokies near the end of last year. Our goals was to shoot waterfalls & I contacted a photog who lives in TN who had a great article on the Smokies in Outdoor Photographer. He recommended Transylvania County, NC. Halfway between Franklin & Hendersonville if I recall. I'll be able to find his email if this is of interest, please pm me.

He says there are more waterfalls to shoot than we would be able to handle, so that could be a place for you to look at. We visited Cades Code in TN (way too many people) & made it to Franklin NC. Then had a Tropical Storm moving in so chickened out & went home.

Kind regards,
Doug.
BaileyNatureGallery
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land