My First Video Attempt With The Panasonic GH3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Major Player

My First Video Attempt With The Panasonic GH3

I purchased a Panasonic GH3 Micro Four Thirds camera February 25th and didn't really have a chance to try the video function until the morning of the 28th. This is the first real digital camera I have had, set aside those little pocket size point and shoot cameras. Read as much of the manual that I could stand in one sitting, so I ventured out to give it a try. I set the video function to record MP4 1920x1080 30p. I'm using a Sigma 400mm with a M43 to Nikon F lens adapter. When you attach any lens, M43 or any non M43 lens, you get a 2X magnification factor, so my 400mm became 800mm. The camera also has a 2 and 4X digital zoom, with apparently no loss in quality, which I did try. I know the video is not as good quality as the camera can produce, and lay the blame on me and a learning curve, although I happy with what I did get on a first try. The source video is actually better than what it is after the Vimeo compression. This camera is amazing, and the deeper I get into it capabilities, the more I'm liking it. It also takes amazing stills, and that's part of the reason I purchased it. BTW I have the early stages of cataracts and forgot to bring my glasses with me, but somehow I managed through the focus problem using the flip out LCD.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: My First Video Attempt With The Panasonic GH3

I enjoyed the footage, Don, and I am glad to see someone else using the GH3 for wildlife.

I started using a GH2 in conjunction with my XL-H1, 5D MK III, and T3i last summer, and eventually found I was shooting most of my video with the MK III and the GH2. I got the GH3 about a month ago and on the whole am well pleased with it. I use a Redrock Micro adapter to use my Canon L lenses with it, and also use the old Canon FD glass with a Novoflex adapter-a particular favorite is the 85-300mm F4, breech lock lens. In a way I like the FD lenses better as it is much easier to stop them down with the manual aperture ring instead of the touch pad that one uses to change aperture on the Redrock Micro. I have just started using two of the Lumix lenses, the 14-140mm and the 100-300mm and so far I find that I can actually live with the auto-focus capability of the 14-140. I have only had the 100-300mm a few days and don't have a final opinion on it. It seems to hunt a bit more than the 14-140, but I think it will prove to be an acceptable lens, although both are a bit rough in the focus and zoom rings compared to the Canon L glass, which one could expect considering the price difference.

I think this camera is very usable in the 2x mode. Newcomers to the Panasonics will think at first that the mode is not usable as the image on the LCD is not nearly as good in 2x mode as in normal mode, but that all changes when the record button is pushed and the image becomes sharp and detailed. I also think that both it and its' predecessor the GH2 outperform the Rebel T3i which has the 3x crop mode.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Willard, thanks for your reply. I saw your GH3 footage of the eagles on YouTube and I think that's what pushed me into purchasing the GH3 earlier rather than later. Still much more to learn, especially after shooting with XL type cameras for the past 13 years.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Congratulations Don!

Beating the cataract to film this is a great effort.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Major Player

When my health deteriorated and financial resources with it last year, I sold most of my cameras and video equipment. But, I kept my GH2 and 100-300mm Panasonic lens. I'm sure glad I did. After some practice, I found the GH2 was a superb bird and wildlife camera. Being light enough for me to carry. and for someone visually impaired, it performs very well in the auto modes. The 2x is the best digital zoom I have ever seen. Most of all, for people with limited resources, it's a affordable option for wildlife filming. It sounds like the GH3 is even better. May be some day I'll have one.

Taken earlier this winter with a Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic 100-300mm lens.

David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I enjoyed the video very much David and it reinforces my thoughts about this system. I still have my GH2 and like it very much. Based on further shooting that I have done and this video, I think I will get along well with the 100-300mm that I just purchased. As much as I like filming wildlife, at this time I cannot justify spending $8,000 and up on a camera, and like you I find that the Panasonic GH cameras do a great job for the price and for a lot of my work I do need the extra reach that one gets with the MFT sensor and the 2X extended telephoto mode.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Don - You did very well with focusing using the flip out screen. Nice stuff and yes the GH series are pretty good considering the price of them and you can shoot stills with them too.
I used the XL1 for years to, hoping Canon would bring out a HiDef intercahngeable len camera that would record to solid state media. Didn't happen and then I noticed the GH1. It looked like an affordable way to get into HiDef and I could still use my 150 to 500 Tokina lens on it. I was a little worried about the difference in magnification between the XL1 and the GH1 but it was a joy to pack around in the mountains. I watched as the GH2 came out and ended getting it because of the ETC mode. I was one happy camper with it as now I could get pretty well the same magnification that I got with the XL1 but in HD. Last friday I ended up coming home with the GH3 and reading through the manual it looks pretty nice. A little disappointed that the ETC mode only works in a few shooting modes though. Was hoping to try it out today but she's a "blowin and snowin" today. Will give me time to play with the buttons!
Wiilard - I found the auto focus better on the 14 to 140 than the 100 to 300 also. But I believe there was a firmware update that I haven't done so maybe that would improve it.
Dave - Nice stuff. I have the 100 to 300 also and as you say it is nice to pack around. I use my 150 to 500 the most though and it's not that light. Still a lot lighter than I use to carry.
Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #8
Major Player

To All,
Nice to see other GH3 users surfacing. The camera has a lot going for it, but I'm still going to continue using the XL H1 until I can get comfortable using the GH3. I just ordered a Panasonic 45-200mm lens, which should arrive the Monday or Tuesday. No "blowin and snowin" here, it was 84° in Ventura 2 days ago. I basically have most of the functions figured out, and my next challenge is to figure out how to get the ETC working. I know it works for a limited number of functions, but I haven't figured out those combinations yet. I think Willard can probably help me out with that. I have a nice Nikon 28-70mm lens that I can use for general travel and family shooting, so I think for now I'm set in the lens department for the time being. Now I am making a 2 column list, "Must Have" and "Nice to Have", and the first must have is an extra battery. I'm pretty sure that I want to shoot in AVCHD, and I have software that will convert that into HDV MPEG2 that I can use with the H1 footage, but AVCHD is all new to me, so any advice from other GH3 users would be helpful. Your doing some nice stuff David, and I always look forward to it on Vimeo.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land