DIY eMotimo TB3 Hyperlapse Rover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 5th, 2014, 10:08 AM   #1
contact admin

DIY eMotimo TB3 Hyperlapse Rover

We've recently received some cool customer projects that tackle the task of getting "the shot" from rough terrain and remote areas. Take a look at this awesome camera rover build that Mike build using Actobotics parts from Welcome to ServoCity, enjoy!!

This is an excerpt from Mike Mikkelson's blog, found here: DIY eMotimo TB3 Hyperlapse Rover | m2 Photography Blog

--- DIY eMotimo TB3 Hyperlapse Rover ---
I use the term DIY loosely on this, as the only thing that is custom is the rover itself. The eMotimo TB3 is a time lapse robot that is normally used by itself, or in conjunction with a slider. I do have a 6 foot T-slot slider that I'll by using with the TB3 and Dynamic Perception stage zero hardware with quick release. The problem is that the slider limits the distance you can make the camera travel. After my recent DIY Actobotics projects, including the Slow Motion Cable Cam, Mini Auto-Reverse slow motion slider, and adjustable width slow motion ladder dolly, I came up with the idea that a hyperlapse rover would be a complimentary addition to my Time Lapse fleet. I call it a "hyperlapse" rover only because it has the ability to cover much larger distances, time and patience permitting.

I used Actobotics parts from Servocity.com to build this simple rover that uses a stepper motor and RC Monster Truck wheels to push itself forward. The eMotimo TB3 allows for 3-axis moves in 2 or 3 step sequences, where you select a start point and then drive the rover to the end point. Once you set the interval and how long you want the sequence to take, the TB3 takes over and drives back to the start point to begin the sequence. Unlike my ladder dolly, which moves very slow, but never stops, the eMotimo Rover takes a picture, then moves forward and stops, then repeats until you get to your end point. Very simple set up.

I bought Traxxas truck tires for remote control vehicles to give it an aggressive look and some "offroad" capabilities. It can be rear-wheel or front-wheel drive depending on how you set the start and end points, but only one wheel at the moment has a drive train. I'm using the 5:1 Geared Stepper Motor from eMotimo, and also have the 27:1 motor if I really want to slow the rover down.

The front and read "axles" are able to rotate, so the the rover can drive in an arc or in circles. I didn't want to have the rover always going in a straight line, so I designed the rover axles to have a bit of rotation.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY eMotimo TB3 Hyperlapse Rover-i-3v29qfc-m.jpg   DIY eMotimo TB3 Hyperlapse Rover-i-h4vmvvm-m.jpg  

DIY eMotimo TB3 Hyperlapse Rover-i-jgk9q3l-m.jpg   DIY eMotimo TB3 Hyperlapse Rover-i-m5nfbjv-m.jpg  

DIY eMotimo TB3 Hyperlapse Rover-i-z3psg9m-m.jpg  
Lauren Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land