Canon FD 150-600, is it worth to go manual? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 11th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon FD 150-600, is it worth to go manual?

Hi and sorry for barging in like this with my first post, but I need some help.
I'm looking to upgrade from a digiscopeing setup and there are so many options and non option that I (as a noob) can't figure out what to do.
To start with the glass; I have seen a Canon FD 150-600mm f/5.6 L for sale for around 2500 euro.
The other options are a Sigma 50-500mm and a Tamron 150-600mm.
Did anyone had the chance to work with these and is the old Canon glass really superior?
For a camera I have my eye on the sony a6000; the e-mount should be the best choice to adapt to almost all lenses. Has anyone tried this camera for video with other lenses like Canon FD?
All my options are still open so if you have some advice on this I would really like to hear it.
Thanx,
Martijn
Martijn Damen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Edit: Is it worth going for an old Canon 150-600?

Ok, so after a lot of reading I understand manual focus is standard for video.
Also a zoom lens should be parfocal preferably.
Maybe I should ask you guys what zoom lens, in combination with an extender perhaps, would be good for this long range I'm looking for.
Also I think I should have an other zoom lens that goes to +/- 200mm that is still very wide at the wide end .. any suggestions?

As for the camera I decided not to go with the sony a6000 but rather for the new a7s or the panasonic GH4 or maybe a blackmagic since they are much better suited for video.

If you have any recommendations, advice or tips I would really like to hear them.

Grz.

Martijn
Old June 17th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Canon FD 150-600, is it worth to go manual?

Look at the old Nikkors as well, particularly the fixed focal length lenses. 800mm comes up for sale occasionally and the 300, 400, and 600 are pretty common. All easily adapted to the e-mount.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you Jim.
Old June 17th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Take a look at Tara Tanaka's set up and videos at Tara Tanaka on Vimeo. She seems to be getting really good results with the GH4.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

That looks very enjoyable Mark. I wish I had a backyard like these guys :D Amazing.

I'm using a digiscopeing setup myself for 3 years, but with a pocketcamera looking through the eyepiece of the scope, too much glass and hard to get perfectly aligned: https://imageshack.us/i/emsetupimj
Here are some vids: Strunkgx - YouTube

Until now I wasn't aware that a dslr could be attached to a scope, and there is an adapter for the scope I have also:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lFELKwm4ZV...scope+Ed82.jpg
It looks like a too long and too narrow tube to me, and it costs 300 euros.

Does anyone have experience using scopes and specially the Nikon ED82 as a tele?
Is it worth going for it or better sell the bunch (scope + eyepieces +/- 900 euro) and go for a big prime?
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #7
Major Player

If you are shooting wildlife, do not go for a big prime. You will want to be able to zoom. That Canon 150-600 looks really interesting, but at the rather low price, and with a maximum aperture of f/5-6, I suspect that you will find the images a bit softer than you might like them to be. Tara Tanaka has shot some truly outstanding video with her digiscoping set up. Not only stationary stuff, like so many other digiscopers do, but flying birds. She uses a very good (Swarovski 85 mm) scope and what is currently the best DSLR for video, the Panasonic Lumix GH4, with an adapter (Digidapter?). The price is in the range of $6,000 US for all that, not including whatever tripod and head she has. I don't know what she does for audio, as her material is always music-dubbed, but Panasonic makes a special component for audio on the GH4.

A lot of money, once you get done. if you go that route, I would love to hear if you are happy with it. I have been thinking about digiscoping, having seen her work.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanx for your reply Steve Siegel,

I already bought the 150-600, it's a real piece of kit, little odd but serious.
I have send it for service on the mechanical parts for it was not zooming smoothly anymore.
I ordered a GH4 also and I hope I can find a "cheap" adapter for my Nikon ED 85 scope to see what it looks like. The optics in the better scopes, specially swarovski, seems to be very good and using them as big primes seems to be a real option, looking at Tanaka's footage.I wonder if there are companies that
can make good custom adapters for a good price ...

I will post footage of my setup in the future on this forum and I hope there will also be some with a GH4 / Nikon ED 85 combi.

Besides the Canon 150-600 I bought a Zeiss Sonnar *T 35-135 for the wider range and macro (gh4=cropfactor 2-2.2). Footage of that will be here in a while also.
Martijn Damen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land