IR video problem solved? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old October 30th, 2018, 05:40 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: IR video problem solved?

I had trouble loading pictures into my last post of this thread so I am trying again here: -

Four IR illuminated screen shots from a Back-bone modified ‘GoPro 4 black’ using a Ninja Inferno for recording. To compensate for the light path changes resulting from the IR cut filter removal 0.0085” was removed from the lens mount.
Lens used was a 4.5 – 10 mm Infrared corrected Vari-focal.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/a...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
IR video problem solved?-screen-shot-2018-10-27-9.12.55-pm.jpg   IR video problem solved?-screen-shot-2018-10-27-9.29.52-pm.jpg  

IR video problem solved?-screen-shot-2018-10-27-9.54.11-pm.jpg   IR video problem solved?-screen-shot-2018-10-27-9.56.46-pm.jpg  

Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 10:36 AM   #17
Major Player

Gosh, very are very sharp and clear Alistair! looks like all your experimenting has paid off
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2018, 03:56 PM   #18
Major Player

My converted GH4’s are only for IR now. You can always put an IR filter in front of the lens but now I am using GH5’s for colour production.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 11:01 AM   #19
Major Player

Remember Back light when ligtning - also when using IR!
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2018, 04:29 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi Mick and Bo,

Thanks for the interest. It was all a bit of a fiddle but I am pleased with the detail that is now possible with this relatively modest set-up.

Back-bone are now recommending an alternative approach that I am yet to explore. They are currently marketing IR Cut filters and Visible Light Cut filters for behind the lens use. They are also working on a new filter mount.

The advantage with this approach is that you use one filter or the other and if their refractive properties are the same there will be no need to change flange depth when changing from visible to IR or vice versa.

However as a lot of my clips are taken around dusk when the amount of visible light is falling steadily I worry that they will suggest that my subjects emerge later than they really do if I use a visible light cut filter. On the other hand with the amount of daylight being so variable at dusk it is hard to intercut shots taken even at slightly different times so may be getting rid of visible light could be of benefit.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land