Black-Crowned Night Heron at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old November 19th, 2018, 02:47 PM   #1
Vortex Media

Black-Crowned Night Heron

Last week I noticed there was an uncommon Black-Crowned Night Heron roosting deep within the branches of a tree not too far from my home in Florida (see the last two shots of the video) so a couple of nights ago I decide to see if I could catch him feeding after dark in a nearby stream. I got very lucky and found him right where I hoped he'd be. I lit him up with an Litepanels Astra 6X LED light (which he did not seem to mind) and shot with with my Sony PXW-Z280 and Sachtler FSB-10 head and Flowtech 100 tripod. The Z280 is really turning out to be a very handy camera for wildlife shooting.

4K XAVC-I @ 30 fps (no grading)
Custom Scene File: SDR-BROLL/Z93/A

Old November 19th, 2018, 04:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Black-Crowned Night Heron

Pretty cool looking bird. I was amazed the light didn't bother him.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Not only did it not bother him, he was actually attracted to where I shined it on the water because I think it made the little fish he was hunting jumpy and he could see them better. You wouldn't believe all the fish, turtles, and gators that suddenly took off when the light came on. It was like rush hour in the water.
Old November 20th, 2018, 06:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Doug, great shots. The Z280 sure puts out some beautiful video. The movement was so smooth. I have the FSB-6 and Flowtech 75. That Astra 6X LED really lit the shot well. I can imagine the little fish getting excited and making it easier for her to hunt. Are you still on Merritt Island? I am planning another trip down in mid January. Maybe we can hook up again. I am heading down to Patagonia next week. Be safe, Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 09:00 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Hi Bob, thanks for the compliments. The FSB-6 + Flowtch75 is a good combo for the Z280. I know because I have that setup in addition to the FSB-10 + Flowtech100 that I used for this video. I'm not on Merritt Island but about five miles away. I got this Night Heron west of I-95 near the St. Johns Wildlife Refuge. Enjoy the trip to Patagonia and be sure to let me know if you find yourself in this neck of the woods again.
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Awesome footage! Very smooth movement, and well-lit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land