The Last of Autumn at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old November 3rd, 2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Trustee

The Last of Autumn

Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2020, 06:26 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: The Last of Autumn

Mark, just beautiful. Bright vivid fall colors mixed with soothing music. I have always loved your variety in shoots, especially the close-ups with the blurred waters rushing by in the background. Thank you for making my morning special. Stay safe, Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2020, 07:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Beautiful work! Did you film it with the gh5? How long did it take? Did you position those leaves? ;-) I’m currently editing an outdoor autumn ballet short.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2020, 09:31 AM   #4
Vortex Media

I agree, beautiful work and so relaxing to watch. My favorite shot is at :55. And I like the nice slow zooming and excellent use of slow shutter on the water. A good example of how to do it right.
Old November 9th, 2020, 02:26 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Beautiful work! Did you film it with the gh5? How long did it take? Did you position those leaves? ;-) I’m currently editing an outdoor autumn ballet short.
Pete, it was shot with the GH5 and took me about 6 hours to shoot. A lot of that was hiking, climbing and setup. The leaves were just there.
Old November 9th, 2020, 02:30 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
I agree, beautiful work and so relaxing to watch. My favorite shot is at :55. And I like the nice slow zooming and excellent use of slow shutter on the water. A good example of how to do it right.
Thanks Doug, glad that you enjoyed it. The slow shutter was a motion blur filter in Edius.
Old November 9th, 2020, 05:05 PM   #7
Vortex Media

Ah, very cool that you can do motion blur in post. It is very interesting times we live in. I wish I had the imagination and creativity to take more advantage of the tools we have at our fingertips now.
Old November 9th, 2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It's obviously no good. Not shot on 8K, full frame, f/1.0, with 20 stops of DR, from a drone. Totally irrelevant in today's world.

:-)
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2020, 07:21 PM   #9
Trustee

Sadly I live in the past with 4K, m4/3 sensor, slow lenses, 10 stops of DR and no drone. (smiley face)
Old November 9th, 2020, 07:48 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I'm always amazed at how long it takes. I went on a long day hike. I brought a GoPro. I got frustrated with it and put it away and used my phone instead for pictures of our hiking group. But most of the time I'm too busy enjoying the outdoors to want to document it. The funny thing is the only time I lust after new gear is for work related reasons. Either to make my life easier or to fulfill a need. Like for example motorized slider, electronic gimbal with low weight mirrorless. For me when you have to do either video or photos for a living you don't want to have to do it during you leisure time
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2020, 09:36 PM   #11
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
For me when you have to do either video or photos for a living you don't want to have to do it during you leisure time
I feel just the opposite. There are very few things I enjoy more than just getting out and shooting for the pure joy/challenge/fun of it. When I have spare time, or when I go on vacation, it always involves shooting video in one form or another. Even when I'm working, it usually doesn't feel like work. I chose the right profession. I'd hate to have a career I didn't enjoy 90% of the time. So why shouldn't that carry over into leisure time. If I didn't enjoy shooting for leisure, I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it as my career either. It is a very gray area where my leisure and work overlap.
Old November 9th, 2020, 10:01 PM   #12
Trustee

It can be a lot of work. But what really helped me was pairing down my gear to a minimum. My kit is pretty light. The GH5, 12-60 , 75-300 and a tripod is pretty much it. My slider has been sitting in the closet for the past 2 years without use. I find with age I can't hike as far as I used to nor care too so I concentrate on looking for interesting details along the way. It continues to be an enjoyable money maker for me.

Last edited by Mark Williams; November 10th, 2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old November 24th, 2020, 06:40 AM   #13
Major Player

Beautiful work as usual, well cut together and good use of effects Mark. Had to watch several times. Thanks for posting
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2020, 03:30 PM   #14
Trustee

Thanks Mick.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land