Best 4K wildlife camcorder under $7,000 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old April 3rd, 2022, 05:41 AM   #16
Vortex Media

Re: Best 4K wildlife camcorder under $7,000

If the OP truly wants a traditional one-piece camcorder, rather than a mirrorless camera or cinema camera with a removal lens, then the best choice is the Sony Z280. It's under $7K and includes lens, battery, etc. Everything you need to take it out of the box and start shooting. The Z280 is basically a junior version of the $35K Z750 and includes many of the same specifications and capabilities.

This video is 100% Z280 and shot in one weekend.

Old April 3rd, 2022, 05:42 AM   #17
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The title doesn't say it has to be 7K excl lenses and a camcorder can also mean a fixed lens camera like the Sony FDR-AX100 that is being referred to.
Depends on your definition of "camcorder". But see my post above.

What is YOUR suggestion? You have suggested nothing.
Old April 3rd, 2022, 05:50 AM   #18
Inner Circle

My suggestion would be what Mark Williams, Ronald Jackson, Steve Siegel said, is that OK for you?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2022, 06:00 AM   #19
Vortex Media

If you don't have any suggestions of your own, or anything meaningful to add to the discussion, why post at all on the thread? Do you think the rest of use don't know that a lens will be required for the FX6? If your "suggestion" is to listen to Mark, Ronald, and Steve, you should have said so in the first place. Those other people you mention are already took the time to post their suggestions, which come from personal experience of shooting with the cameras they are talking about. Their comments have validity because they come from experience. Do you even shoot wildlife?
Old April 3rd, 2022, 06:56 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Yes, I occasionally shoot wildlife and my suggestion for camera's and lenses are the same as the other posters I mentioned.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2022, 09:55 AM   #21
Trustee

Not only that, but In areas with sales tax, that will be an additional cost to the marked price.

Based on a quick search, "The current total local sales tax rate in Seattle, Washington, is 10.250% . The December 2020 total local sales tax rate was 10.100% ."
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2022, 10:07 AM   #22
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Not only that, but In areas with sales tax, that will be an additional cost to the marked price.Based on a quick search, "The current total local sales tax rate in Seattle, Washington, is 10.250% . The December 2020 total local sales tax rate was 10.100% ."
What??? You're out of your mind. Nobody includes sales tax when talking about the cost of gear. And why stop there, anyway? What if he's in a 25% federal income tax bracket? Doesn't that need to be taken into account because the true cost is really 25% more if he is purchasing with after tax dollars. Does Washington state have an income tax? If so, how much is it, because that should be taken into account as well. Will he have to pay property taxes every year on the camera, because that certainly needs to be factored in to the true cost.

From now on, whenever there is a discussion of budget, it only makes senes for the OP to provide full financial disclosure and a business plan. Otherwise, how can we offer meaningful advice?
Old April 3rd, 2022, 11:15 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
What??? You're out of your mind. Nobody includes sales tax when talking about the cost of gear.
Agreed. Sales taxes vary widely among states. If your in B&H’s store and buy a camera you will pay New York State’s base 4.00% sales tax plus New York City’s 4.875% sales tax for a total of 8.875%. When I buy from B&H online and have the item shipped to my home I only pay Connecticut’s 6.35% sales tax. No one likes paying sales taxes. If the cost of the item plus sales tax is more than you are willing to pay, then you can’t afford the item.
W. Bill Magac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2022, 02:47 PM   #24
Regular Crew

If we are talking taxes and you are professional and run a business, you have to add property taxes to the mix, which is a yearly cost of doing business. These vary by city or municipality where I live.

The GH6 looks interesting and for what you get for the cost is a nice camera for video. Panasonic has thrown in just about every function and video feature they could into this small camera. (No, Doug, there isn't variable ND, which is a lovely function. Sony is way ahead on that one.) Full frame is nice for some kinds of shooting but is overrated for wildlife and doc work. I would take the Z280 also (which you can't buy currently from venders. They appear to be out of stock everywhere); perhaps they will update it with a better autofocus and more current media when they do bring it back. I actually would like a new APS-C camera with the latest Sony feature set; I'm not holding my breath waiting. I am tempted by the A7iV for that reason, but I have't moved on that one yet.
Old April 10th, 2022, 07:12 AM   #25
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Cole View Post
(No, Doug, there isn't variable ND, which is a lovely function. Sony is way ahead on that one.)
Not only no variable ND, but no built-in ND whatsoever. That makes it much harder to keep up with changing lighting conditions, and to quickly modify the exposure settings when going from regular frame-rates to slow-motion, whcih is something I do constantly. Successful wildlife shooting means you have to be ready for anything. A couple of extra seconds to change settings can mean the difference between getting a great shot or going home with nothing special to show for your time effort. There is rarely time for unscrewing an ND filter and putting on another. And variable ND filters that use two rotating polarizers are not ideal because they cause too many artifacts.

Also, I would disagree that full-frame is overkill for wildlife. Shallow DoF is a great way to separate wildlife from the foreground and background. I try to keep my DoF as shallow as I can possibly make it at all times. A FF sensor makes It easier to get shallow DoF and, contrary to what inexperienced shooters may think, it also makes focusing easier.
Old April 10th, 2022, 06:48 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Yes, I realize that mirrorless cameras suffer from lack of built in ND among other things, but they are packing a lot of functionality into a very small and portable unit.

Doug, something I forgot to mention: your footage of the horned owl and chick is just beautiful. It looks at like you were up in the tree yourself and right there with them and the chick looks like it is eyeing you intently. Just great. Nicely done.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land