Shorebirds To The Moon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 17th, 2022, 12:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Shorebirds To The Moon

I recently visited Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area in Kansas for the spring shorebird migration. There were plenty of birds. I had my GH6 and, and having learned that shooting flying birds at 2000 fps, even if they aren't hummingbirds gives sharper images, I gave it a try. Worked pretty well. Topaz Video Enhance improved everything, too. Marvelous software.

Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2022, 07:57 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Shorebirds To The Moon

Steve, there are some nice shots in there. Excellent tracking on the flying shots.

When you say "2000 fps", I think you actually mean 1/2000th shutter speed. I don't know anyone who owns a camera that can shoot 2000 frames per second, and the speed of the motion in your video doesn't appear to to be captured at 2000 fps.

You're welcome to shoot with whatever shutter speed you want, but I will suggest that 1/2000th is way too fast. I don't like the way it looks in your video and neither will a lot of people who are used to watching wildlife documentaries at normal shutter speeds. You are correct that it looks sharper, but it is TOO sharp. Video needs a certain amount of motion blur to look "correct" to the eyes of a typical viewer. You'd never see shutter speeds like this on high-end productions from NatGeo, Disovery, Nature, BBC, etc. And you probably couldn't sell it for stock footage even if you wanted to because it looks too different.

Like I said, you can do whatever you want, but I just thought I'd point out that you're way outside the boundaries of normal production settings and this doesn't look as good as it could to the rest of us.
Old July 18th, 2022, 09:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Sorry about the frames per second instead of shutter speed. I wrote this after coming home from a party at a brewery, and wasn't the sharpest at the time!

Yes, I know that I am violating the usual practices of video production in not shooting at 1/60 or 1/120 to get motion blur, but I have always done so. I take a lot of stills from my video to use in various ways, and since stills taken from low shutter speed video are worthless, and since I never know when I will need one, high shutter speed is the way to go for me. In the past, 20th Century Fox, The Today Show, Nature Footage and Birding Adventures TV didn't seem to mind my high shutter speeds (I was routinely using 1/500th sec in those days).

If you look at my You Tube Channel you will see that being unconventional is something I enjoy, and when I saw the improvements that Alan Murphy got in his photos by shooting at 1/4000th, I tried going fast, and was impressed. Since I don't sell footage, I can get away with it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk5..._DmBSat8KMtZvQ
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2022, 07:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Steve, that’s a professional soundtrack if I ever heard one, the script, your choice of music, the placement of the voice and the sound effects deserve a 2nd and 3rd viewing, it accompanies your great tracking video.

I certainly appreciate Doug’s knowledgeable comments, and I might be old school but I like the sharpness of your shots. I think it’s the direction we’re all migrating to - HiDef and beyond.

Cheers.
Old July 18th, 2022, 09:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Allan,

I appreciate your comment and support. Thank you.

Steve
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land