Footage Links - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 7th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #16
Wrangler

here's some pelican video. it isn't brilliant, just a bit of vacation video, shot on the fly with the handy-dandy GL2. but pelicans are pretty much the coolest birds ever. they were so much fun to watch. i wish i could have had more time to futz with my camera.

http://ia300033.us.archive.org/3/ite...5/Pelicans.mov

*rant mode on*

the problem with going on trips with other human beings is that they aren't very patient with my video addiction.....

*rant mode off*

oh yes, it's the usual h.264 codec, so you'll need it to view...

also, here is a still photo link to a somewhat rare-ish roseate spoonbill. a very cool bird, indeed! i rather like the composition of this one...

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/178006
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #17
Major Player

Thank you twice again Meryem.

60 secs of video occupied 227mb of download @ 36.9bytes/sec but it was worth the wait. More please, anytime.

When you have time perhaps you'd kindly tell me what's involved in making your footage available? You're encouraging me to think I might have snippets to offer.

The roseate spoonbill was new to me. What a beauty. What poise? Much more than European flamingos. You must have a fair modicum of poise yourself to capture that detail. Did you take the still with your GL2, with or without a tripod?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #18
Wrangler

sorry about the large file size, brendan. it's kind of ridiculous, for what it is....i didn't realize what a monster i had created until it had uploaded, and i did an experimental online viewing of my own. oops. oh well. it gave me a chance to do the dishes while i waited. i put it up primarily so that my friend who was on the trip with me could view it. we were both charmed by the pelicans. they're amazing birds.

on that trip, i was primarily focusing on obtaining some stills to include in another project. i didn't even realize how amazing the bird photography was going to be in that region. what a bonus. the spoonbill isn't a screen grab, it's an actual photograph, shot with a hand-held canon 70-200mm zoom and a digital rebel XT. what started as a trip to the mayan ruins unexpectedly turned into a birding excursion. taking along the GL2 was a bit of an afterthought. it's hard to resist going someplace new without a video camera.

as far as getting your own stuff online, you should go for it. what are you waiting for?? get an account and do it! get a free one--ourmedia is free, and they have no space restrictions whatsoever. i have a separate website for my biz (which i barely use anyway, it's just something video imagers must have....). but with ourmedia, you can put up as much stuff as you want, without file restrictions. the only thing you agree to is that you're putting it in the public domain, so you relinquish a lot of copyright control. so i don't put up my best video or any of the video i make for clients, just the personal, fun stuff. but just for fun and for experimenting, you can do a lot worse than FREE.

what's also fun about it is, that a lot of the things i've loaded on the site have been downloaded 600-800 times. that's way more exposure (did i mention FREE??) than a film festival, where maybe 100 people see your work in a single screening.

i think google has something similar, and if you do a search on web hosting, you'll find several others. i use ourmedia because it doesn't require a lot of technical skill, there's no fees and no file size restrictions, and, as you can tell, i'm no web guru by any stretch.

one thing i did to get started with web delivery was sign up for a DV Challenge with an eye towards putting pressure on myself to get that web bit figured out. it sounds a bit nutty, but avoiding the wall of shame was highly motivating, and once you get one item up, the others easily follow....
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #19
Major Player

That's a string of happy news and useful information Meryem, bless you.

Any chance you'd put up your copious notes on How not to Slam into or Slither down the Wall of Shame? Guess not, you wouldn't like to be setting a soft precedent for dossers. See you in the timeline, as JR sez.

I've just found DVChallenge Web Video Tips ... so what ...
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #20
Tourist

legal point

With the wide range and volume of footage out there how does the owner of the footage and consumer protect themselves. Landscape footage for example is not exclusive. How do copywrites work with this type of material?
Dominic Dorigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Steve,

I'm interested in the aerial footage of chicago. The only problem is its not close enough for my use. What i'm looking for the traffic on the street to be visible atleast half of the thumbnail size (cars and others vehicles).

Its for 3d purposes. I'm looking footage on HD.

Hari
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:18 AM   #22
Major Player

Here is a link to a couple of low res clips on our web site for you to watch.
Both recorded with Z1 with 1.6 century converter.
http://mppvideos.co.uk/services.htm
Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #23
Wrangler

Thanks, Meryem, for the tip on ourmedia.org. That's pretty slick!

I'd forgotten all about the day last year that I grabbed my XL1s (too bad it had the stock lens on it) and ran outside to catch this Mantis outside my window. Stumbled upon the clip the other day and thought maybe someone who likes bugs might like seeing the little critter. Sorry it's not nice and crisp focus; I was afraid he'd take off!
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/193259

(wmv, 25.1mb--takes several minutes to load)
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #24
Wrangler

at the risk of being accused of shilling for ourmedia--there's other free sites out there, and a search for free web hosts will turn them up. it's just what i, as a self-proclaimed web dummy, use.

it's cool to see more footage posted. nice mantis, lorinda! i love mantises. mantii?

bring on the footage. i love seeing other peoples' outdoor, nature, wildlife images.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:51 AM   #25
Major Player

talking to myself

.. not to worry, that's going on for some time now ...

The thing is nobody's put up footage on this thread for weeks. I was going to ask would anyone like to see brief clips of raptor footage from time to time. Now I realise I'm too old to be wallowing around for pre-admiration. Anyway I dine healthier on post-criticism .. constructive if you can manage it .. so over the next while I'll be trying to post links on this thread to a few snippets of this & that.

I was impressed by the speed with which a few of the entries on DVChallenge5 downloaded .. I wonder what made the difference? Just to keep viewing/downloading agony to a minimum ..
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:35 AM   #26
Major Player

A not to happy Black Marlin

From a recent trip to Panama

http://sfgmedia.com/video/TheFishing.mov

Not to worry everyone went home just fine, just a little tired from the experience.

Enjoy

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:25 AM   #27
Wrangler

but brendan, i see you haven't posted your footage link here, yet! i know they're out there, i've seen them. not everyone who reads the wildlife forum watches the DVC entries, so! where's the link!!

jim, pretty amazing fish. what camera set-up were you using? was that you with the excited running commentary behind the lens? i had to laugh at that, because i have too much outdoor footage with my own voice in the audio, unable to restrain myself with my "whoa"s and "cool"s and heavy breathing from being overly excited by what i'm seeing or overly exerted from carrying too much stuff. or the time i was stung by a bee while i was shooting climbers, and the audio consists of "g-d motherf---" among other things. ah, nature, beautiful nature....

you showed remarkable constraint, by comparison....
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:37 PM   #28
Major Player

I'm working on the link Meryem, honest, tapping away, trying to remember ...
and determined to embarrass myself into doing better ... and then some

It was the reptilian tattoo on Jim's video that caught my eye; it is all about getting close, isn't it ... bit of an anti-climax though; I was waiting for a slap of a dead fish that never arrived .. and now I'm in danger of lining up a video clip that'll never arrive .. and there's worse to follow
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:49 PM   #29
Major Player

Meryem

No that was not me. I learned along time ago to stuff one used sock in my mouth and mic someone else. Usually the one who drinks alot.

Brendan

Sorry no dead fish. Those things are what keep my boat running! Got to keep them healthy for the next guy.

Glad you guys enjoyed

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #30
Major Player

Vulture in flight

click on http://www.ourmedia.org/node/218085

... that should open relevant page at Ourmedia
... You may get the compressed version to play on that page, but if you're
short of distraction the following procedure will easily drive you there ..
... if you use WMPlayer, right click on Link & Open
... if you use QuickTime, right click on Link & Save target As & Open With
... make a potta tea & a sandwich (turkey, perhaps), have a nap,
... 45 minutes later, you'll have him going around in circles

Thought I had a clean shot to finish but it's a frame or two early
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land