Canon GL2 and outdoor filming... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old December 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon GL2 and outdoor filming...

I'm going to purchase a camera this January, but need a little guidance. Since I'm an outdoor activist this upcoming turkey season I'm going to start filming all hunts I go on. I've filmed hunts before, but not with a 3 CCD chip. I've read many great review about this camera, but would like to know if there is possibly a better camera out there instead of the GL2. I've seen many production companies using the Canon GL2 to film their hunting shows, but many of you members know your stuff, so I wanted to see if I could get a little imput in regards to this question. I hope all have a safe and blessed holiday. Take care and GOD bless!
David Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Major Player

I have a GL2 and an XL2. I like the GL2. It's small, light, good picture. No complaints. But I think my XL2 is a giant step beyond. I have more fun playing with my XL2. When I see the video of my GL2, I think "good picture". With my XL2, I say "WOW".
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 03:05 AM   #3
Old Boot

May have something to do with the 1/3" as opposed to the XM2's 1/4"

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 03:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Isn't there a lot more to learn about the XL2? I'm just a beginner, but one day I'd like to use something of that fashion. If you think that it would benefit me for the kind of work I'm doing then I'll work towards a XL2. I really appreciate everyone's comments so far. Take care and GOD bless!
David Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 04:20 AM   #5
Old Boot

Ok David, I'll attempt to dissemble your enquiry - these are my opinions:

"Isn't there a lot more to learn about the XL2?" Well having not used the XL2 OR any of the XL range I can't really comment. But from I've seen and read of the XL range, the basics once learnt on the XM2, these would be transferable to the XL range. Meaning, I wouldn't imagine much difference in the "basics" learning curve. This being the case, you should not make this a point for the criteria of yours NOT to plump for the XL2 straight of - you're gonna have to learn the basics in any event. - Do you see my point?

"I'm just a beginner, but one day I'd like to use something of that fashion." What do you mean?

"If you think that it would benefit me for the kind of work I'm doing then I'll work towards a XL2." What benefits do YOU think you would be after?

I guess you NEED to hold, experience and generally see the output of the XL2 compared to that of the XM2. The XM2 is cheaper, so would give you a lot of accessory budget headroom. Headroom for "other" stuff like mic and tripod and wide angle lens and the like. Then again, with the XL2, you do have native 16:9 - not with the XM2.

The other bigger, which is presently scaring my Credit Card, is when will or IF a HD successor to the XM2 range be available? I certainly couldn't afford the XLHD - $7k? And that's just for starters! So, for me it is a period of wait and watch this space for a XM-HD successor . .yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 05:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

To be happy with the GL2 you've got to be happy with 4:3 footage David, as the camera's not really designed for shooting 16:9.

That said the Canon lens is a beauty, and the zoom range outstanding for the money. You might think that the Sony VX2100 with only a 12x zoom doesn't have enough reach for you in your application, but if you can stretch to that camera I'm sure you'd appreciate the bigger chips, the excellent low light capabilities the zoom ring and the twin NDs and so on.

My last thought is that the GL2 must be nearing the end of the production road (as the VX is as well) The Sony HDV HC1 will blow the doors off the Canon as regards picture quality, and it's only a single cmos chip. It's the same price too, but the bottom loading is a pain if you're a tripod man.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:14 AM   #7
Wrangler

the GL2 is the best outdoor shooting camera AT ITS PRICE POINT, bar none...

the XL2 is probably the best outdoor camera available in terms of footage quality. but it will cost you. A LOT. bigger, more expensive tripod, bigger case, bigger accessories. don't get me started on the temptation of 35mm lenses. the GL2 is infinitely more portable.

so those are the parameters for making a tough choice. i find i am constantly balancing the problems of portability against footage quality.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you're shooting video as you're hunting, and not dedicated to just shooting video, then you'll probably want something portable.

I've worked with an XL1s, PD-170 and PDX10 on our fishing show.

You might want to take a look at the Sony PDX10. It's compact, has a fair amount of reach with its lens, and true 16:9 format if that's of interest. It also provides phantom power via its XLR connectors if you decide to get a better microphone for it, such as a shotgun or similar.

While it doesn't have the best low light capabilities, the image quality otherwise is very nice. I got it to shoot underwater video but so far only used it as a regular camera and was surprised at the results.

The only drawback with a really compact camera is that it's tough to keep steady in handheld shots. The XL1s is far superior in that aspect.

The XL1s and XL2 also has much better access to manual controls than any of the Sony cameras.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

David;
As an ex hunter and now a wildlife videographer, it's a snap decision.As you get tired of waiting to bag your animal, you are going to find it almost impossible to refrain from shooting your video on those animals that don't meet your hunting standards. I used to see a lot of small buck deer that I wouldn't shoot because my standards were for a four point muley. I wish I had a video camera for all those great shots, long and far. Your going to need a long lens sooner or later, and the onlly one to do that is the Canon XL series (non HD). Dive for Canon XL2 and learn all it's settings and advantages. Later on buy a 70 - 200 mm lens and enjoy both worlds. Deer, elk, moose, bear, goats,cats, ducks and birds, Alaska, Canada, Idaho, Montana, Washington. WOW! Brings back old memories, wish I had taped it all!!!!
Ron Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #10
Inner Circle

new camera

David Ellis,

Have you taken the dive into the new video camera?

If dollars are not a concern go with the xl 2 or the new hd version!!

If not, the gl2 is a great outdoor video camera. I film wildlife at least 3 days a week 12 months a year, often times much more. the gl2 is actually quite good. With its 20x optical and a century 2x on top of it you will be amazed at what you can get.

As for light you will also be darn surprised if you get out there and learn how to use it!! I have shot at sun down and the pictures looked like middle of the day.

I would not go for the pdx 10 simply for the lens. it is nice but the canon is better and can do the Job on 80 % of the shooting. If not, then work on ones stalking skills, closer is always better regardless of the camera and lens..

Gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land