Canon XL2 with EOS 70-200mm f2.8 Lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 30th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks,

I'll probably go with just the Canon 1.6X and see how it goes - this will give me more reach than I have now. Realistically this is probably as much length as I can use without problems.

Before switching to video I used a Nikon 1000mm F11 mirror lens with various Nikon 35mm bodies. This was the size of a waste-paper basket and weighed about 7 lbs. You had to hunt for the camera body on the back of that beast!

You are right about addiction to long lenses, but you soon enter a region of diminishing returns. Ironically landscape photographers feel just the same, wanting to be always a litte wider.

Many thanks for your help!
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:15 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Xl2 Plus Ef Adapter And 70-210 F2.8

Hi guys

My experience is identical to Laurri, in that I used the 70-210 on the XL2 and could not say that it was much different from the 20x standard lens footage when I got down to editing it. My impression is that the 20x standard is higher contrast if anything. My most used combination is the 135-400 Sigma on a standard Canon EF adapter - amazing quality for the price. I am however interested in the comments about the use of an old 300mm FD Prime lens by BOB THOMPSON, which fits without a standard Canon adapter. Can he supply some further information please, e.g where he got it and how much.

Thanks

Rod Compton
Rodney Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Rod;
I use a 50 300 FD L lens consistently on an XL1 and the XL H1 with good results. Optex used to make an adapter for the FD lenses, however they have recently gone out of business. ZGC handled ther equipoment and may have an adapter in stock. Contact chris@zgc.com for more info.
Ron Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:29 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Adapter

Thanks Mate

Have done, are they in the UK or USA do you know. What's the difference between the EF and FD in terms of quality. I know the former has more glass but that's just to correct the exit pupil size and disposition - seems unnecessary if a spacer adapter does the job.

Rod C
Rodney Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:41 PM   #20
Regular Crew

In New Jersey, USA. Great people. They are one of my dealers!
The EF lenses use an adapter that contains glass, in my opinion, glass of a lower quality. The Canon FD and the Nikon lenses do not use an adapter with glass because of the method of adjusting aperture.Therefore, again in my opinion, the older FD lenses are comparable to the EF lenses on the XL cameras.
Ron Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM   #21
Major Player

Rodney,

In the uk you need to speak with this company http://lesbosher.co.uk/ .They make various adapters and are recognised by Canon and JVC amongst others.

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:37 PM   #22
Major Player

Hi Rodney,

I have also found this one, a former Optex employee who has started up on his own after its collapse. He was responsible for the lens developments for 17 years with them. He is also producing adapters http://www.mtfservices.com/page3/page3.html
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM   #23
Trustee

The lenses that have an aperture ring on the actual lens barrel (Canon FD & Nikkor Ais) are the best lenses to use, because then you have full manual control of the iris.

Rodney, I would also advise that you use a quality prime SLR lens alone, rather than adding the 1.6 extender to the Canon 20X lens. A zoom will help you to fix focus easier, but I would go for a fixed prime lens, especially if most of your work is on a tripod from a hide. A 200mm f/2.8, 300mm f2.8, or 500mm f/4, or 600mm f/4 would be best. To cut down in weight and size, choose a 200mm f/4, 300mm f/4 or 600mm f/5.6.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:28 PM   #24
Regular Crew

adapter

Thanks Tony

Yes, I more or less decided to upgrade to a prime from the excellent, but slow Sigma Zoom. I've got some fab Nikkors, but only one is in the frame, which is a 180 f2.8. The stuff I got using the 135-400 at about f11 in bright light was excellent - but not so good wide open. Stills on: www.xyris.tv/%20%20%20pages/diary.htm This lens is fitted using the standard EF adapter. I might well get a new Canon 400 f4 which will serve on my stills camera as well. My main query was about the glass versus the glassless adapters.

Rod C
Rodney Compton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land