Is it allowed to use a tripod in a National Park ? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 5th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven
It was this that prompted the invention of the late, lamented, Duopod. The rights to this were purchased by the UK company Uniloc who manufactured two versions for some years. Presumably they did not sell well enough, as they are no longer available.
Actually, somebody still sells the duopod and uniloc tripods and monopods, because I ran across their site this week while researching the subject of monopods vs. tripods and monopd support systems. Unfortunately, they are expensive.

Also, most of the Bogen tripods offer big, flat rubber feet as on option and I would doubt very much that these would cause any more damage than, say, shoes under a 300 lb. person...
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #47
Major Player

This is as complete a listing as I can find of Uniloc products:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/inde...DS/uniloc.html

There is no sign of the Duopod. Uniloc's own site is currently not accessible.

I do not think that the ban on tripods which led to the development of the Duopod was due to damage to city streets. It was due to the alleged obstruction they caused.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #48
Regular Crew

You will need a tripod permit if you shot in Wash DC. Set up a tripod in front of the Lincoln and see what you attract.
Old March 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plunkett
You will need a tripod permit if you shot in Wash DC. Set up a tripod in front of the Lincoln and see what you attract.
Voice of experience?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven
There is no sign of the Duopod. Uniloc's own site is currently not accessible.
FYI, in the US, I know that Pro4 imaging (pro4.com) sells uni-loc products.

Note that the duopod is basically a monopod with a sturdy foldable "foot pedal" on the bottom. The major/minor series Uni-Loc tripods come apart to form short/long monopods, table tripods, etc.

I looked at them and, without some in-depth user reviews or evaluations, found them fairly expensive. It would be nice to know how rigid the tripods are in the wild for video filming.

I've just ended up ordering a Bogen 679B monopod with a Bogen pod pouch and a "suction/spike" foot accessory, so I'm not currently in the market for a dual monopod/tripod product any more.

I was thinking about the DV Rig Jr. for stabilization, but it seems like most user's feedback is that it NOT the greatest for "stabilization" but great for camera weight off-loading. For that task, then, I can stick the monopod in the pod pouch on my hip.

Still trying to decide what tripod to buy for when I do actually visit my local National Parks (It's nice living close to Crater Lake). Since I'm off-topic, I had to throw that in!
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #51
Major Player

I have owned a Duopod Pro since they first appeared in the UK seven or eight years ago. It is very heavy and rigid - a 2-section tube with the bottom section diameter almost 2 inches.

The standard Duopod was simply an extending arm with a footplate on the end which could be clamped onto any monopod of suitably large diameter.

I have looked at the pro4 site, and the duopods they display ar not those which the original Uniloc made. They are clearly much lighter in construction.

Uniloc was formed by a group of former Benbo employees at one of that companies going into receivership. Their tripods are essentially copies of the Benbo (Bent bolt) tripods. How they avoid trouble with patents I do not know. I can only assume that Benbo allowed the patents to lapse.

I also have an ancient Benbo Mk1 tripod, which is equally massive and rigid. Because of its design, which allows great flexibility in positioning, it is too much hassle to use for video.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #52
Regular Crew

machine guns, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
Voice of experience?
Yes, even before (well before) 9/11. Tripods can hold machines guns I was told. Not so much a pro v amateur thing like in NYC were the City requires daily shooting permits to shoot commercially but more a security thing.

The park rangers that approached me went out of there way to make a big scene out of me and my tripod’ed camera (weird I hate tripods but wanted some long exposures- i use bean bags now). Always check with the city's L&P or call some local pros.

btw- I lost my light. And nothing can bring that back. LOL

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land