DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Techniques for shooting landscape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/63519-techniques-shooting-landscape.html)

Ben Mclaughlin March 23rd, 2006 02:03 AM

Techniques for shooting landscape

I was after some pointers to shoot landscape / urban shoots, one thing
i have found is when doing this kind of recording it has to be steady ie tripod for most shots.

I have a z1p and did a trial run and i found anything by hand made me feel
a little sea sick (to shaky).

Brendan Marnell March 23rd, 2006 12:44 PM

I don't use a tripod for video. I put my butt on a shooting stick and turn my butt into the revolving head of a tripod, like so ...

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/191535

... in that situation it is the point of the shooting stick that turns in the ground. Its got a folding seat and a blunt steel point with a small plate 2 inches above the point to prevent it sinking into most surfaces. Then the usual rules apply about steady hands, elbows tucked in but, above all, practice.

I only thought of it and got one last month for €25 at a saddlery. But what suits me, wildfowl shooters and generations of horsey people may not be what you have in mind ... FWIW

Meryem Ersoz March 23rd, 2006 02:20 PM

so! you did manage to get something up on that site, senor videoraptor. cool! there's hope for a video to follow, yes?

another good landscape technique is the trusty beanbag. weighs a lot less than a tripod for long ascents or long hikes. around here, there's usually a big rock to set it on. tree stump, fence, car window. in fact, i keep one in my car at all times.

Tony Davies-Patrick March 23rd, 2006 02:25 PM

Nothing beats footage of a landscape (and most other subjects) taken with a sturdy tripod and smooth-actioned tripod panning head. The very best of handheld footage (even braced for support) does not match using a good tripod.

Sometimes you may be in a location, or shooting a subject, that is dificult when using a tripod...but I give this advice...always use a tripod when you possibly can, as you'll never regret the end results.

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 23rd, 2006 02:40 PM

Another "good thing" to use for landscape shooting are graduated filters to control the skies...

Robin

Tony Davies-Patrick March 24th, 2006 02:25 AM

I second that, although I think sometimes the grad affect is not always used carefully enough in a lot of recent TV programs and movies – as it should be very subtle, or not noticed in the scene at all. I find it best to use grads on a static fixed shot rather than handheld or panning on a tripod, unless the light remains exactly the same throughout the scene (which is rare in outdoor shooting).

I've found that a polarizer filter is extremely useful in a lot of scenes. Another item is a hood or barn doors to block out the suns rays, although when you are filming from a fixed tripod, simply holding out your palm to the edge of the front lens element is often better.

A wired control on the pan handle is an essential part of my filming. I have two pan handles on the large tripod head, with a Manfrotto 522C on one of the handles.

Jeff Donald March 24th, 2006 06:42 PM

I rarely use grads any more. I find I can get a more realistic look replicating the effect in post.

Ben Mclaughlin March 26th, 2006 10:32 PM

thanks guys, think ill go the sturdy tripod at all times method for now.

:)

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 27th, 2006 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Donald
I rarely use grads any more. I find I can get a more realistic look replicating the effect in post.

So, if you burn out the sky, you can recover that in post can you?

Robin

Bob Thompson March 27th, 2006 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
So, if you burn out the sky, you can recover that in post can you?

Robin

Robin, I agree with you that grad filters are essential for landscape shots but I have heard of cameramen shooting locked off shots with one exposure for the sky/clouds and the other for the landscape and combining the 2 shots in post