Techniques for shooting landscape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Techniques for shooting landscape

I was after some pointers to shoot landscape / urban shoots, one thing
i have found is when doing this kind of recording it has to be steady ie tripod for most shots.

I have a z1p and did a trial run and i found anything by hand made me feel
a little sea sick (to shaky).
Ben Mclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't use a tripod for video. I put my butt on a shooting stick and turn my butt into the revolving head of a tripod, like so ...

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/191535

... in that situation it is the point of the shooting stick that turns in the ground. Its got a folding seat and a blunt steel point with a small plate 2 inches above the point to prevent it sinking into most surfaces. Then the usual rules apply about steady hands, elbows tucked in but, above all, practice.

I only thought of it and got one last month for €25 at a saddlery. But what suits me, wildfowl shooters and generations of horsey people may not be what you have in mind ... FWIW
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Wrangler

so! you did manage to get something up on that site, senor videoraptor. cool! there's hope for a video to follow, yes?

another good landscape technique is the trusty beanbag. weighs a lot less than a tripod for long ascents or long hikes. around here, there's usually a big rock to set it on. tree stump, fence, car window. in fact, i keep one in my car at all times.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Trustee

Nothing beats footage of a landscape (and most other subjects) taken with a sturdy tripod and smooth-actioned tripod panning head. The very best of handheld footage (even braced for support) does not match using a good tripod.

Sometimes you may be in a location, or shooting a subject, that is dificult when using a tripod...but I give this advice...always use a tripod when you possibly can, as you'll never regret the end results.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Another "good thing" to use for landscape shooting are graduated filters to control the skies...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #6
Trustee

I second that, although I think sometimes the grad affect is not always used carefully enough in a lot of recent TV programs and movies – as it should be very subtle, or not noticed in the scene at all. I find it best to use grads on a static fixed shot rather than handheld or panning on a tripod, unless the light remains exactly the same throughout the scene (which is rare in outdoor shooting).

I've found that a polarizer filter is extremely useful in a lot of scenes. Another item is a hood or barn doors to block out the suns rays, although when you are filming from a fixed tripod, simply holding out your palm to the edge of the front lens element is often better.

A wired control on the pan handle is an essential part of my filming. I have two pan handles on the large tripod head, with a Manfrotto 522C on one of the handles.
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #7
Warden

I rarely use grads any more. I find I can get a more realistic look replicating the effect in post.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks guys, think ill go the sturdy tripod at all times method for now.

:)
Ben Mclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Donald
I rarely use grads any more. I find I can get a more realistic look replicating the effect in post.
So, if you burn out the sky, you can recover that in post can you?

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
So, if you burn out the sky, you can recover that in post can you?

Robin
Robin, I agree with you that grad filters are essential for landscape shots but I have heard of cameramen shooting locked off shots with one exposure for the sky/clouds and the other for the landscape and combining the 2 shots in post
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land