Manual focusing for outdoor filmers???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old April 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Manual focusing for outdoor filmers????

I'm an avid turkey hunter and I'm also an avid amateur videographer. This season I'm going to film all hunts I go on, but I'm running into a couple of problems. My biggest problem in filming hunts is when there'll be a couple of little shrubs in front of my hunting spot and the camera wants to focus in on them instead of the animal. I've watched many hunting shows and tried to see their techniques, but they never show the preparation before they start filming. What is the easiest way to fine focus the camera in manual mode? I have a Sony DCR-VX2000 and there is a manual function on lens assembly. After I switch to manual mode and fine focus the setting you can you use the in and out focusing button to eliminate my problem? If anyone has a technique they use every time they use manual zoom please provide steps of your technique. I don't know how far I need to be out before I use the fine focus feature before it will be clear from the farthest point to the closest point the zoom button allows. When I use the automatic feature everything is so smooth versus the manual feature and zooming in and out with my hand. I hope I master this sooner or later. Thank you so much and have a blessed day!
David Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Zoom in to the point of what you want in focus, focus, then zoom back out.
(manual mode of course) then everything at that point in the frame will be in focus. Also depends on depth of field and lighting as to what will be in focus in the picture. If it's bright and sunny then just about everything will be in focus. If it's overcast and there are things close to the lens they may be out of focus if your focus point is set far away.
Hope that helps.
Mark
Mark Bournes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land