Waterproof bag for PD150 river crossings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Waterproof bag for PD150 river crossings

Hi I'm looking for some kind of bag or cover to go over my portabrace to keep my PD 150 totally waterproof while crossing rivers in the Himalayas. It needs to be lightweight but strong. Thanks
Robb Bradstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Smart

Rob,

I think this is a must!! I was in Africa for over a month. third day there crossing s an ankle deep spring seep I found a hole and sunk my camera under ofr just a second or three. end of camera!! Non repairable!!
Even a good strong garbage bag that you can tie off is better than nothing!!

Try EWA-MARINE

Tel 08700660384
It is in Devon england
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks

Dale, Thanks for the link. sorry to hear about the lost camera. I used 2 garbage bags last time I went but don't want to trust my luck to the raging torrents I often have to cross again. It's too nerve wracking! Robb
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Robb,

For a camera of this size you could easily fit it in a boat 'drybag'. These are like a duffel with a rollover top. They are made by the likes of ortlieb, drytrek, orca, aquapac just to name a few and cost a few dollars instead of a few hundred dollars which the EWA Marine and Scubacam bags do. If you want something so that you can shoot UW then the EWAs are a good budget end solution but if you are just protecting from dust and water for a short while then they are fiddly and actually a bit fragile. The advantage with a boat bag is that you can trap air inside and it will float and it weighs nothing.

Good luck
J
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #5
Wrangler

i'll second what james said...if you're just trying to keep your camera dry and protected, a dry bag is a good choice. if you want to be able to shoot from the boat, a ewa marine bag is another good choice. you can also combine. keep it in the ewa marine bag for ease of shooting without worry and then double-bag it in a dry bag for transport. that way you're not relying on the ewa-marine as the outer layer.

one other suggestion if you go with the dry bag only is to protect the camera--cheaply!--with a layer of bubble wrap and strong rubber bands. if you are on big water, cushioning your camera from the blows of big waves is also a good idea. the dry bag will be rigged into the boat, undoubtedly, but it will also get bounced a bit, if the water's big.

there's also watertight pelican boxes, which, properly rigged, are probably the ideal protection if you don't plan to shoot while you're on the boat.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Robb,

Might be more than you require but these must be close to the ultimate in protection. http://www.stormcase.com/ you may even find DVInfo sponsers carry them.
Sonny Horsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the extra choices

Hi James,Meryem & Sonny. Thanks for all your advice. As I don't need to shoot underwater but just protect the camera from getting wet the dry bag sounds the best idea and cheapest idea seeing I'm on a very low budget. I'm hoping I can find one bigger enough to go outside the portabrace bag.
Robb
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

You might want to consider these low cost underwater housings (http://epiccam.com/). Even though you don't need to shoot underwater, the military has found that these are very useful in dusty/sandy environments (see the link on the above page "Epic helps fight terrorism!"), so this would give you the option of keeping your camera dry when you're crossing rivers, and also act as a dust shield when shooting in windy or other problematic environments.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Re Shawn's suggestion

Hi Shawn, I like your suggestion. I tried going to the link you gave but the page was not working or valid. Do you think this company still operating??
Thanks for your help Robb.

Last edited by Robb Bradstock; May 28th, 2006 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Robb, take the closed bracket ) off the link, it works then.
Sonny Horsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Sonny

Hi Sonny, 'No bracket' worked. I got to the link. Thanks. Robb
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #12
New Boot

Wow. Thanks for the link. Any company helping our troops has my attention. I've contacted them to see if their products will work on the Canon XL2. I didn't see it on their list of compatible cameras. I need something like this for a trip to some nasty weather in Alaska this September.
Thanks,
Dave M.
Dave Merrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #13
Major Player

For low-cost temporary protection, you can get "contractors' bags" at hardware stores. Sometimes, they're called, "drum-liners". They look just like black lawn bags, but are 5 times thicker and very durable. One way to make the opening waterproof, is to tie one or two knots in the bag. I have also used a sturdy, but thin elastic cord to tie them, so they can be re-used. I stretch and wrap the cord around the neck several times and tie a bow-knot in it. You can find such an elastic cord at a sewing supply store. Thin surgical rubber tubing also works well for bow-knots and fishing supply stores carry it. With a little air inside, these bags will float a camcorder. I often use one when I'm carrying a camcorder in a backpack through the swamps. The combination of a tough and protective outer pack and a waterproof inner bag is hard to beat. For peace of mind in a rough situation, use two bags, separately tied. I pre-test all the ones I use for leaks, by blowing them up at home with a small air compressor. All this is worth the effort.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #14
Regular Crew

low cost protection idea

Hi Stephen, I used a similar idea last time. My problem was I often had to get my camera out in a hurry to catch a scene and the constant bag untying and retying put a bit too much strain on the heavy duty garbage bags I used. The elastic cord idea sounds much better. I always double bagged the camera. I'm not sure the bags you mentioned are available here in Ireland so I'll probably have to try out the other 'budget' suggestions. Thanks for all the ideas everyone!!!! At least there are many choices to try!!
Robb Bradstock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land