"Grizzly Man" Re-runs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old August 7th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #16
Air China Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Fisher
I do think he was an idiot, but Im not going to celebrate his death.
Nor that of his unfortunate girlfriend who had been trying to leave before that day!
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #17
New Boot

Last week a mother black bear and her two cubs were euthanized here, because a tourist climbed down from a safe viewing area to get a closer photograph. The bear charged him as she would have another bear, to move him out of her safety zone for her cubs, but did not touch him. The cubs were killed because in the forest service's opinion they learned from that one incident to be aggressive toward man.

This happened on private property where the locals go to see the bears and eagles feast on spawning salmon.

You can be assured that of the millions of people who see Mr. Treadwell's exploits a percentage will try to emulate him. Some of them will be hurt or killed, but the bears will suffer many more casualties.

I have seen first hand incredible ignorance, concerning wild animals, in people whose only experience with wild animals is from the Discovery channel, or wildlife films.

I liked the parts of the film where Mr. Treadwell warned people that they would be killed by the bears if they did what he was doing, and think it only fitting that his killing by the bears provided a bold exclaimation point to his warning.

I applaud Mr. Herzog for including those warnings.

Maybe those of us who tape wildlife should leave in some of the blood and guts seens to show that survival in the wild is more than cuddly, warm and fuzzy moments. Of course, blood and guts doesn't sell to well, but we should at least try to truly educate rather than just entertain.

Bambi started this anthromophization trend 45 years ago.

Regards,

Law
Lawrence Hyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Hyland

You can be assured that of the millions of people who see Mr. Treadwell's exploits a percentage will try to emulate him. Some of them will be hurt or killed, but the bears will suffer many more casualties.
Law

of course, the only reason that "millions" of people will see treadwell's footage is because werner herzog made a doc about him. up to that point, tim mostly toured the indie mountain film festival--a tiny, marginal niche. i think i am the only one posting on this thread who actually saw what he was doing with his footage, instead of seeing what herzog did with his footage. how herzog used his footage and how tim used his footage are pretty far apart.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #19
Major Player

I personally loved it. At least for me, it gave me a reality check on how dangerous nature can be. On a lighter note, here is a really funny parody of the movie.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=grizzly+man
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #20
Wrangler

thanks for the link. that was pretty funny. at least someone is taking down herzog's role in this production....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #21
New Boot

Michael - Thanks for that great link, really a hoot.
Lawrence Hyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Michael, thanks for the link. Very bold to be irreverant.

Disturbing as this doco was, I had a hard time with the interviews; they felt so staged and acted that I actually wondered if Treadwell had faked his own death to generate publicity.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #23
Major Player

I don't know why, but I can't stop watching that video. It cracks me up. I've been watching it every week since feb. My dad walks around going "look at that big bear, he's a biiigg bear" and he's in his late 60's. Just thinking about the video cracks me up. I think Werner should include in on his DVD in the extras.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #24
Major Player

Just now, on the CBS overnight news, there was a feature on the Brown Grizzly Bears on the McNeil River in Alaska. I believe one of the tourists they showed at a viewing sight may have seen this movie. When a large bear came to just a short distance from him, he turned to the camera and said,
"Now that is a bi-i-ig Brown Bear!".

There's bad news about the bears there. Next year, they're going to open sections of territory in the region to "trophy" hunting. The refuge manager is distraught and will resign in protest. He thinks that many of the bears that come to this seasonal fishing spot will be in these free-fire zones when the hunting starts. He fears that they have become so accustomed to people, that they will be sitting ducks. He regards the hunting as a betrayal of the unique trust that has been established with the bears, over many years. If any bears have a bad experience with hunters and survive, when they come to the tourist viewing sites next year, there might be trouble. You may be able to find and view this story on the CBS website, in the "Up to the Minute News" section.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #25
Major Player

The "Grizzly Man" Makes ABC's "Primetime"

Tonight, a segment of ABC's Primetime program was about Tim Treadwell and the film, "Grizzly Man". It was the first of a 5-part series titled, "The Outsiders" and was called, "The Animal Fanatics". There wasn't much new in this program, that hadn't been covered in the film about Treadwell and its long epilogue section. However, one thing was mentioned on ABC, from the audio recording of the fatal attack, that wasn't in the epilogue. An ABC producer was allowed to listen to the recording, which hasn't been released to the public. When Treadwell is grabbed by the bear, he shouts to Amy to "Whack the bear with the frying pan!" and apparently she does this, as they said the sound of the impact was heard. They gave a plug to the availability of the "Grizzly Man" DVD, so Treadwell's fame will probably expand some more.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #26
New Boot

New to the forum but certainly not new to this story. Tim Treadwell was a mentally ill individual with a dream that he could be one with nature. He was right. However what he failed to understand is that being one with nature means you become one with the food chain. It's incredible to me that he survived so long being so absolutely ignorant about his "role" in nature.

I have to agree, what that man did was spread a disease of idiocy while he was brought to schools and seminars discussing the wonderful "friends" he knew in the wilds of Alaska. What he needed was some wonderful human friends to commit him and get him medicated so he wasn't a danger to himself, his girlfriend, or the bears. theres no doubt in my mind that his films while incredible to watch, were at the very least very deceptive about the true nature of nature. They were only incredible because of the abnormal behavior being filmed.

While I fall short of celebrating a mentally ill mans death, I do feel very strongly that he got exactly what he was hoping for. If you could go back and rewind, his humble beginnings probably started with a wish to die his first year in the field with those bears. When they didnt kill him, he felt an acceptance that he never had amongst humans. His friends and family sat by and watched him live in that lunacy until he finally got his wish. This was self fulling prophecy.
John Coit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land