Musk Ox - Part II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 11th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Trustee

Musk Ox - Part II

Hello all, I know that some of you guys eager to view my next part of the musk ox footage. Well here is a small taste.
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/muskox2.html

Shooting all the weekend I got almost 3 hours with raw footage! The challenge will be to edit this down to a decent lenght of time, because there is so much to see! I was really near the herd on sunday. I got some very nice close-ups of the mail going among all femails. You can see details in his face, a small part of at the end of his horn is damaged etc. It was astounding to take part of this, laying there alone among those creatures, feeling the smell, hear the mail snuffle.

After 2 days and night in the mountain, carrying 25 kg on my back, I'm still physical tired, but I'm very happy. This is my way of living :-)

Enjoy!
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Lovely to look at, Per Johan. So sharp and detailed and apparently as close as one could wish to get. How close were you? Did you use tripod all the time? Is the Sigma 300 the same lens as for an SLR Canon camera? I'm wondering why it took me 35 mins to download 9Mbs. Looking forward to as much footage as you've got.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Trustee

Per,

That was really enjoyable to watch. Keep them coming.

Regards
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #4
Trustee

Brendan,
my webhost had some issues last night that caused slow connections and downloads. They told me that they have fixed it now.
Fine if you could try a new download and report the download time?

My favorite lense is this Sigma 300mm f/2.8
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
It's the one that fits on the SLR Canon camera.
I'm curious how this lense would behave on a Canon XLH1 with its brilliant and crisp pictures?

I'm always using a tripod with this type of lense. It's no way that anybody could handheld this beast of 2340mm.
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #5
Major Player

Download time?

Instantaneous. What a difference!

Footage still amazing .,. more please?

And what about Mac viewers?
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan

My favorite lense is this Sigma 300mm f/2.8
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
It's the one that fits on the SLR Canon camera.
I'm curious how this lense would behave on a Canon XLH1 with its brilliant and crisp pictures?

I'm always using a tripod with this type of lense. It's no way that anybody could handheld this beast of 2340mm.
Just as well you posted a link to your machine. I have an old Sigma 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 and I was sort of hoping ... well, you know what I was hoping
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #7
Trustee

Mac users: mov-file available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell
And what about Mac viewers?
For all Mac-users, a mov-file is available: http://www.video-film.no/snutter/muskox2.mov (5.6MB)
Please download before playing!

Enjoy
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Per,

Excellent footage. Are you planning to produce a "Year in the life of a Musk Ox" documentary?

Did you use Tony's "globetrotter" settings again?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ter#post483623
Grant Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Sherman
Hi Per,

Excellent footage. Are you planning to produce a "Year in the life of a Musk Ox" documentary?

Did you use Tony's "globetrotter" settings again?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ter#post483623
Grant, yes Tony's globetrotter setting have been one of my favorite setting (thanks Tony) and I also use a polarisation filter on this clips.
This weekend I was up in "muskox country" once again. The autumn colors was great and I got some nice early morning shoots, I'll try to post some footage soon.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a "Year in the life of a Musk Ox" :-)
So if I survive something nice will come out in a year or so!
Old September 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Per,

What are you using to focus with, the viewfinder or a monitor?
I have a 70-200 and 100-400mm Canon lens, but I am finding it hard to get crisp focus with. Another person suggested using the zebra lines to focus, but what did you do?

Also what does the polerizer filter do for the video?
Chris Fritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #11
Trustee

Chris, I use the fu-1000 viewfinder. It's a b/w viewfinder. You can read more about it here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article83.php

Some have experienced some issues with it, blown main fuse on the camcorder, but I have used it since March this year without any problems. The viewfinder is very easy to get good focus with. You can see a crisp, light edge around the object when you have it in focus. I also use the zebrastripes to help me with the exposure.

The polarizer-filter helps me to get brighter and richer colors, especially in the autumn. It also reduce the amont of light into the camera. I use a f2.8 lense which is very bright. If I don't use any pola- or ND filter you have to use a very small aperture, which is bad to get good pictures. I found that my lense (Sigma 300mm f2.8) gives me the best picture between f5.6 and f11.

Good luck with your Bald Eagle! I look forward to see some more footage from you Chris.
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #12
Regular Crew

well they are always there, right now I just need to dial in getting the picture in focus.

Idid some tests last night and took off the 2X extender, that helped give me some more focus range.
That leaves me with a 70-200mm with 2.8 and a 100-400 at 4.5-5.6

I will try and pick up a polorizer this weekend, if I can't what ND seeting would you recommend, for a cloudy fall day or a bright fall day?

what type of an adapter do you have to use for your sigma 300?
Chris Fritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #13
Trustee

I think it's wise of you to take off the 2.0 extender, I have tried it some times and it always gives me a too soft pictures that I don't like.

I will say that with your two lenses, the 70-200 and the 100-400, you should have sufficient telephoto to come near the objects!

It's difficult to recommend any grade of ND filter for you, cause you have to experiment with it for some time in different weather and light and with different settings on your camcorder (shutter and aperture).
But if you buy 2 different grades of ND-filter, let's say a 0.3 and 0.6, I think it should be sufficient for your work.

I use the same adapter as you, the Canon ef-adapter. Sigma lenses are sold with different fittings, so I buy them with the Canon fitting.
I haven't mention that I also use the Ronsrail and Ronsight. This give me a very robust setup and the Ronssight helps me alot to find the objects quickly. Without it it's amost impossible to find any objects in the viewfinder at the huge telephotoend we got with our lenses!

I will be off now for some days. I'm going to "musk ox country", trying to get some more footage. The autumn colors are showing up in the montain area these days.

See you Chris and good luck to you!
Old September 21st, 2006, 01:15 AM   #14
Major Player

I have just bought the H1 and have the canon 70-200mm it definately needs nd filters I have just order a hoya Nd 4 from e-bay which reduces the light by two stops. I think I may need another, maybe an eight which reduces light by 4 stops. I will let you know the results in a week or so.

By the way great footage Per.

regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land