Musk Ox - Part III at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 06:15 AM   #1
Trustee

Musk Ox - Part III

The autumn season is here and so are the colors. Muskox is in the rat periode, no mate has been completed as far as I know. The females still turn down any male attempt.
I have been out filming a lot the latest weekends, trying to get nice colorful footage, click on the link below to view a flash movie:
http://video-film.no/snutter/muskox3.html

Mac-users: you can download a mov-file here:
http://video-film.no/snutter/muskox3.mov 17.6MB (please download before viewing!)

Enjoy!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Per,

That is absolutely stunning footage, the autumn colours combined with your long lens make it a dream to watch. I love the opening shots.

Are you still using Tony's settings or have you modified them?

I am now waiting for the next episode, of the Musk Ox in the snow - actually I want to see more of this episode

Bob

PS: My only criticism would be, that I would like to see the 2 shots of the man swapped, the "man out of focus" first
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Trustee

Per,

That was great. I also love the color saturation, depth of field and sharpness. Music choice and editing was superb. Compression for the web looked really good.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've been waiting for the next installment - and it's worth the wait. Lovely autumn colours. Great behaviour - I can't wait to see the finished film.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks all for your comments.

Bob, I totally agree in your suggestion about those two clips. I have swapped them now. Looking much better. I'm still using Tony's setting.

Maybe some of you have noticed that one of the male in the film, is missing the horn of his left side. This probably happend during a fight last week, but it dosen't seem to harm him much.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Per Johan, that video is awesome.
Well done!!!

How close were you?
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond Saetre
Per Johan, that video is awesome.
Well done!!!

How close were you?
Well, it's very important to approach these animals very carefully. You have to "read" their behaviour before approaching. I use to sit on a long distance at first, observing them carefully. It's also important to let them know that you are in the area, let them see and smell you. The safety distance for guiding is approx. 200 meter.

My philosophy when filming wild species is not to disturb them unnecessary, therefore I only approach them when they look calm and comfortable with my present. The distance to the herd vary much according to the circumstances. My long lense also help me to get good close up at a comfortable distance.
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #8
Trustee

Per - That was a lovely clip of Dovrefjell - well worth watching. I bet the original uncompressed file is superb.

If there was one thing I'd like to add - and this is no criticism of your filming - would to be able to hear some natural background sound. The music blends in very nice with the footage, but just a few seconds of natural sounds, especially the deep sounds of when the Musk Ox breath out heavily or the sounds of hooves, would I'm sure enhance an already very good clip.

I’m glad that you liked using one of my presets. For a recent film project I used a slightly different XL2 preset (mainly dialled out the red to avoid pinkish cast on some subjects, centred the sharpness and slightly gained colour spectrum). Here is the Preset for anyone that is interested:

XL2 Globetrotter 2006 Preset (outdoor nature subjects):

Main dial on 50i
16:9 Mode
AV or M on dial.
-3dB gain
White Balance: on Outdoor sunlight (daylight temperature)
Gamma: Cine
Knee: Low
Black: Press
Colour Matrix: Cine
Colour gain: +4
Colour phase: Middle
R-Gain: Middle
G-Gain: Middle
Blue-gain: Middle
V-detail: Normal
Sharpness: Middle or +1
Coring: Middle
Setup level: Middle
Master Ped: -1
NR: Off
Skin detail : Off
Filter: A Circular Polarizer B+W F-Pro 72mm filter is used most of the time, although it is sometimes removed during extremely low light conditions and exchanged for a Hoya Super HMC Pro 1 UV(0), or removed altogether when I sometimes use my selection of Grad filters for dramatic landscapes.
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #9
Major Player

Tony, thanks for the updated "Globetrotter 2006", I have been using the original Globetrotter with great success, all I am looking for now is for something that can dial out the terrible pollution we have

Cheers

Bob
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Really great

Hi Per Johan,

I think the footage is brilliant. Making me wait for the next time.
Your footage is well filmed as other stated before, and you muster other skills
as editing and choosing and embedding the right music.
Do I understand correctly that you plan to go beyond the trailer format for this project ?
It would be interesting to see how it will be, and how you cope with the new challenges ahead.
How much equipment do you carry on those beautiful mountains ?
Is the area approachable or you had to camp with all your gear ?
Is it possible to film those animals at dusk or dawn ?

Waiting for the next one.
Sassi
Sassi Haham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
Tony, thanks for the updated "Globetrotter 2006", I have been using the original Globetrotter with great success, all I am looking for now is for something that can dial out the terrible pollution we have

Cheers

Bob
I don't know a way of dialling out the pollution Bob - I wish we all did! A UV filter or polarizer does sometimes help to cut through some of the haze.

Are you filming in Hong Kong? I was actually born in Hong Kong, although I suspect that the pollution has increased dramatically since I was last there. Have you tried filming on the high hills above Kowloon during early morning when the cooler air keeps some of the pollution in the lower valleys? Filming outside of the warmest hours will also sometimes help avoid the dreaded heat-haze affecting contrast and sharpness when long lenses are used.
Old October 5th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #12
Major Player

Tony, I have been living & working in Hong Kong for over 30 years, most of my current work and for the last 10 years has been in the Country Parks ( 40% of HK is country park). Fortunately the company shot a lot of footage 7 - 10 years ago, before we were really hit with high pollution levels.

All our videos start and end with sunrises and sunsets as pollution is less visible at this time. It has just taken us 11 months to do 10 hours of helicopter footage, in fact all the footage was shot in 4 consecutive days, after 2 weeks of clear skies we went back to polluted skies again.

Unfortunately there are no front mounted helicopter mounts in HK but we still mange to get some stunning handheld footage in the parks

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...51962907569678

Bob
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #13
Trustee

The Sai Wan clip looked great Bob - just a pity that the rez is so awful in the clip - I'd rather wait a bit to download a higher resolution clip, even if in a smaller frame.

What was the black object flapping on a few occasions into the left side of the screen?
Old October 5th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #14
Major Player

The black you see is the helicopter pilot's door coming into frame, originally this didn't bother us as the footage was only for TV and the door was out of tv viewing but this June we reshot the footage as it going on large LCD screens. Handholding helicopter shots and trying to look forward are very difficult to do especially when you see the ground flying past 30 feet below you.

Unfortunately the original uploaded footage to Google was reconverted to another codec and suffered badly. I will in the near future change most of the clips on google video
Old October 5th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #15
Trustee

Impressive animals and equally impressive footage. Great stuff, the landscapes are just so emotive.....lovely! On a side note I wasn't keen when I saw the chap walk into shot, it knid of took away some of the natural remoteness the opening shots gave to the piece. I agree with the point about the sound recording aswell I think that would add some icing on an already tasty cake.

Look foward to seeing how this comes together into a collective piece.

Out of interest how remote is this site....lots of hiking involved?

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land