HV10 in the Desert - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 29th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #16
New Boot

Meryem,

loved the video.

One question - how did you achieve the rack focus in the opening shot?

The only manual focus button I see on the HV-10 is so small, I'd have thought these kinds of rack focus moves would be tricky. Yet yours looks pretty smooth.

Any tips for that you could share?

Thanks.
Jim Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #17
Wrangler

thank you, jim. it is quite a subtle move using that little wheel, and i probably blew about 7 or 8 takes until i got it just right. so, my big insight would be--it just takes a little practice, until you get a feel for the wheel. and shoot stationary objects! also, the wheel is a bit touchy, you can control the focus speed (slow it down, into and out of focus) by moving it just a fraction at a time, instead of its full rotation. pretty subtle, like i said, but once you get a feel for it, it's a pretty cool tool.

i like that shot, too, but i'm also mixed about it. to get it, i shot in Av mode, with the aperture wide open, but it introduced significant purple fringing. still, it shows the amazing flexibility of this little cam and the remarkable DOF on this little 37mm lens, so i kept it. a polarizer might have helped. skies blow out easily.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land