35 mm adapters for Canon XL H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old February 25th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

35 mm adapters for Canon XL H1

Tried this question in the H1 forum but with no joy!

What differences are there in functionality between using Nikon and Canon lenses? I gather that the aperture information can be seen in the viewfinder when using Canon lenses. I presume that exposure is still set manually?
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Andrew

It depends on what mode the camera is set in if the aperture setting is displayed, but yes the finder will display it in certain instances.

If you select TV mode it will display the shutter speed but not aperture, but if you push the exposure lock button on the side of the camera, both values will be present in the finder. If you select Av it will display the aperture, but not the shutter until the lock button is pushed. In auto mode, no exposure info is displayed unless you push the lock button. I don't know all the possibilities, but this is the general way it works.

It will change aperture automatically if a lever on the side of the adapter is set to lock, there is also a button which works like push auto focus which allows it to change aperture automatically.
I don't like to have it locked as there is a light clattering noise as the aperture changes and the change is not as gradual as with the 20x lens, but is more stepped in appearance so I never use this method.

My personal preference is to put the camera in TV mode, push the exposure lock button, and select the shutter speed it desire. I then select the aperture by turning the iris select dial on the left lower part of the camera.
I use a combination of zebra bars and the exposure scale that appears in the finder when the lock button is pushed, to decide what setting to go with.
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Andrew, currently all lens info from 35mm adapters is not passed to the camera. There just isn't the electric connections. All that info is read off the lens directly from your manual settings. There's no real functional difference between the Canon and Nikon manual lenses besides the format differences. They're both manual lenses that offer roughly the same primes and f stops available. I've found that the Canon FD lenses are more pervailent on ebay and able to be bought much cheaper than the nikons. Not sure if this is because the Nikons are better quality, or if there are just less being sold. I do know that if you want to use your lenses on say a digital still camera as well, that you stay away from the FDs and go with the Nikons.

Aperture, focus and zoom are all set on the lens, while the camera retains the shutter speed.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a 70-200mm Sigma which is a G lens ie. no aperture ring so I will have to buy an older lens to use with the H1. I use Nikon equipment but could buy a Canon lens if this was advantageous. I am also guessing that Canon and Nikon glass is more than adequate in terms of quality and that there is no need to go for Angenieux lenses.
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Trustee

Angenieux lenses are not sharper (proved in tests) than Nikon or Canon lenses anyway.
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You don't need an aperture ring. If your lens has an eos mount its' iris is controlled by the iris setting wheel on the XL-H1, but since it sounds like your lens is a Nikon mount, I don't know it an adapter for the Nikon mount requires the ring.
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Andrew,

I do not use an h1 but I do use an xl2. I have a series of fd lenses which have used. I believe there are some good fd lenses out there, but there have been a lot of improvements in lenses over the last two decades. I would personally opt for a canon ef lens. Oh yea, you will have to buy an adapter which ever way you decide to go. I am in the process of deciding what lenses i want to acquire before spring hits, there are a lot to consider!!
there is some discussion on them in a thread I started a week or so back here in uwol, maybe take a peak at it.
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The Sigma lens I have is a Nikon so I surmise that I will not be able to change its aperture via the H1.
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land