When Recording Clouds... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old April 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Thomas,

I am out shooting video of wildlife, I would reckon I get half a dozen sets a year that I like. I use the footage I like best for ending most of the videos I make. I make them for myself and I share them with friends. I get lots of practice so when it is really important I get footage I can. I also bank real nice footage and keep a log of those files for future use. This last year I shot about 60 hours of video, I only use a small portion of it. Today I was shooting some footage of Mute swans that are just stopping by on their migration north. I was testing out my new 100/400 canon lens in low light conditions, will watch the footage this evening. In this country you can run into great things anytime so one must be prepared when that rare shot comes along.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:26 PM   #17
Trustee

do u guys increase the shutter speed? Seems to make the clouds move faster..
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:45 PM   #18
Inner Circle

sean,

I use a slower shutter speed as when I use faster i do not like the look, when you speed them up in post it makes a difference. Also, shooting at a slower shutter reduces the aperature down so you have greater depth of field which keeps more of the sunset in focus.

I am open to suggestions on this anytime, always looking for a way to make them better.

I do not use colored filters that I know are used all the time in still photography to enhance the reds. My goal is to make them look as they actually did.
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #19
Major Player

I'm going to be camping on an island in florida for spring break and you guys have inspired me to shoot a few sunsets. One quick question, when you're shooting sunsets does it damage the camera if it's pointed toward (directly at) the setting sun? I have a sonyvx1000.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buys View Post
I'm going to be camping on an island in florida for spring break and you guys have inspired me to shoot a few sunsets. One quick question, when you're shooting sunsets does it damage the camera if it's pointed toward (directly at) the setting sun? I have a sonyvx1000.
Matt, I can not say from experience so this might not count at all. But, I have read that you should use a ND filter to protect the lens from the powerful about of light the sun puts off. I have seen people do it without, but I am not sure if its the smartest thing to do..

I hope you find your answer! And have a good time!
~Gabriel
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Matt,

This subject has come up several times over the past couple years and the standard answer of recent years is that todays cameras are not overly effected by shooting into the sun. But, a sunset is a lot different than shooting in a bright day.
I shoot them alot with both of my cameras and neither show any wear for doing so.
I shoot flying falcons and other birds high in the sky and we scan across the sun often and have seen no real problem to date.
Using a polizer and a nd filter certainly is a more conservative approach just to be safe. Besides the combo can also enhance you sunsets.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land