Equipment Insurance for Travel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Equipment Insurance for Travel

I'm leaving in 1.5 weeks for India to film a short documentary for some missionaries.

I'll be bringing a Canon XH-A1, wide angle, tapes, batteries, DSLR, lenses, etc.

Basically, I'll be carrying my life's savings in a kata backpack and I need to get this equipment insured pronto.

Any suggestions on who to call or what type of policy I need?

Thanks
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Trustee

Brent, I would start by calling the company that has your home owners insurance. Be sure to tell them this is work related or they may not pay if damaged. Also, if you are planning on useing credit cards remember to contact your bank and tell them where you are going or they may see unusual activity on your card and flag it. Check with the contry you are traveling to as some have special forms that need to be filled out prior to bringing a video camera into the country. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

When I went to Argentina I did what Bob is suggesting; talked to my homeowners/auto insurance agent who researched the best policy to get. I ended up with something called an "inland marine" policy. It cost about $200/year to insure something like $12,000 worth of gear. They said I could simply cancel the policy on my return if I wanted to and it would be pro-rated for the amount of time it was in effect. But it seemed like a good idea to keep it, so I did :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land