Live feed from nest of Black Stork - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:59 AM   #16
Wrangler

wow, those chicks have grown since i last checked this out...very cool.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:06 AM   #17
Major Player

There was a person just up on the nest weighing the chicks and taking DNA (I think), I missed if he banded the chicks. According to the diary they would be banding the chicks.

Great video, I loved the shots of the weighing

Bob

PS: I forgot to mention that some fish was left for the chicks

Last edited by Bob Thompson; July 2nd, 2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: additional info
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:08 AM   #18
Major Player

recording of yesterday's Live is here: mms://video.eenet.ee/tooni/rongastamine.asf

The man in the nest is ornitholog Urmas Sellis. He the person who arranged whole this live feed thing. He speaks estonian. He's first word were something like:"It's very hard to keep balance here because i am standing with both legs only on one branch ... so if i dissapear from the picture that means i couldn't keep right balance". So his speech was full humour.
enjoy!
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell View Post
Nothing much happened for the 7 minutes I watched the nest, Frank. The adult preened quite a bit but while the image was sizeable the plumage detail was generally vague and from shoulders down it was just black without contrast.
The chick(s) did move but it might have been a clump of cotton-wool for want of detail.

Black storks are rare and shy but I would have to be getting better quality images to find the patience to keep shooting or viewing ...
I would have to agree with Brendan on this one...
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
I would have to agree with Brendan on this one...
Really can`t cheer up You guys about this subject. That`s the nature! Of course we could create some artificial suspense, but that is really not the aim of this project. The main purpose is maybe mostly scientific - to learn habits of creatures who keep long distance from human. The second purpose is maybe that it is very much reality show and available for everybody.

But... after storks leaving their nest to head to south in the fall, i hope we cut some short best of of this summer.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM   #21
Major Player

Learning to fly megamix
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #22
Trustee

Nice footage, Frank, and much more interesting. I'd still edit it down to only a fraction of the long megamix and chuck in some fades between clips or changing light conditions (to prevent hard cuts). Place in some soft music and interesting background narrative about the birds and it will be a winner.

I would have liked to have seen higher quality imagery, and maybe at least one or two different camera angles. If you were unable to reset the camera position, it can be helpful to use a wireless remote control to zoom the lens wide and then tight to take in different viewpoints of the same subject (depending on your camera model of course).
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #23
Major Player

2nd Black Stork just left the nest

At 1208pm 30th July (Hong Kong time +8GMT) I was fortunate enough to see the second Black stork chick leave the nest, there is now just one lone chick gathering up the courage to fly.

Thanks to all those involved in the project for supplying such marvelous pictures and sound

Bob Thompson

Last edited by Bob Thompson; July 29th, 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added date
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #24
Major Player

Surprise, Surprise, it is now 1945 HK time (+8 GMT) and the 2 chicks that flew off this morning are now back on the nest - total 3 in the nest

Bob
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM   #25
Major Player

Bob, You`re really lucky. I`ve never catch them flying "live". But recordings are here.
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #26
Major Player

one of three chicks is lost second week already. He seemes to be dead.
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:24 AM   #27
Major Player

So, this is the end for this year. Tooni(male stork) is some hunderds kilometers away from Estonia. He got new radio transmitter, so we will trace it whole winter. Chick will stay close for awhile. They fly now fluently.
Learning to fly. So thanks everyone for being interested. I hope this project will continue next spring. Just a little before storks arrive to the nest.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land