Wildlife from Norway at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 7th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #1
Trustee

Wildlife from Norway

I'm working on a wildlife project from a tiny island called Kvamsoy, on the mid west coast of Norway. This week I had company by my friend Per Johan Naesje. Here's some clips from this week shooting.
You can see Kittywakes, Seaguls, Sea Otter, Deer and White tale eagle.
The intro clip/pan is not from this week.
Filesize 54 mb and in QT, download from my server: Norwegian Wildlife
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Wildlife from Norway

Geir
Lovely sea and landscape shots, how long did you have to wait for the Otter to make an appearance?

I will have to make a trip to Scotland one day, to get similar scenery shots.
Ron Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Ron and thanks for comments.
Well, over here the sea otter is most active early morning and night, but you can see him at daytime too.
This day I was up at 5 am and on post around 6 am. First I saw him in distance and then suddenly he was right in front of me. It took around 3-4 hours to get these clips. It all depends on the habitat and to get a fine place to sit and wait for him. The sea otter is a very restless animal and always hunting for food. One minute here and the next minute he's gone. My experience filming animals in the wild is to have patience, sit and wait, maybe for hours to get nice clips. I also try to do some research, asking the locals to get some information, where to find and where to go.
Good luck in Scotland.

Geir Inge
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Geir,

Such beautiful country, so vastly different than the prairies, it is another world. I loved the scenery, the otter was delightful as they always are!!, and the sunset was totally awesome.
Curiously, did you dress up the sunset a bit in post, or set the reds up a level or two on the camera??? It was totally diffuse which is unlike anything i ever see here. totally cool!!

I am looking forward to your finished product!!
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #5
Trustee

Thank you Dale.
No effect used in editing, just as it was filmed.
I can use different presets on my Canon XLH1 and this one, DISJECTA, is made of Steven Dempsey. Link here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=66776&page=5

I live a bit south of the polar circle, so we dont have the midnight sun, but for some weeks in mid summer it's never totaly dark.
The clip of the Deer is filmed at 12 pm, it was a bit too dark, and the distance a bit too long, but I got them on tape :) I think Per Johan got a better clip as he had one of his lenses. When I filmed the sun it was almost midnight. I've done a timelap on it and split the screen. You can see that the sea is in normal speed, but the fog and sun is up speeded. A trick I've learned from Per Johan.
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #6
Trustee

A big thanks to Geir Inge who introduced me to his magnificient part of Norway! What a scenery beauty!
During my one week stay the weather was beautiful, sunny, almost no wind. The local people told me that this was "once in a lifetime" periode with such a nice weather!
Geir Inge showed me some of his secret places where I could film the Sea Otter. And the otter did not let us down when he pass by just 5 meters in front of us!

Well, I'm sitting at home capturing my footage right now. It's a very pleasent job with so much beautiful footage to watch!
Hopefully I will put online some of it during this weekend, stay tuned!
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Trustee

After seeing all these great clips from both you and Per, my wife and I decided that after this coming trip to Brazil we will be doing Norway. You two should be on your tourist commission. Thanks for showing us all such a beautiful country. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #8
Trustee

Nice of you to say Bob.
If you and your wife desides to visit Norway you have to give me a call.

Here's some "mini" facts about Norway :)

Total area/space: 385 199 km2
Consist of the mainland 323 802 km2 , Svalbard 61 020 km2 and Jan Mayen 377 km2

Total coast lin is 25 148 km and without the fjords just 2 532 km
There are many islands along the coast with a total coastline of 58 133 km.

Borderline to these countries: Sweden 1 630 km, Finland 736 km and
Russia 196 km

Beautiful fjords like The Geiranger fjord, Sognefjorden and Neroyfjorden.
You can see the midnight sun north of the polar circle (arctic circle) from June. At Svalbard it starts late April.

Well, maybe I'll get me a new job at a tourist bureau :)

Geir Inge
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Geir,

what a wonderful place you live!!

Norway has a history of gyrfalcons and northern goshawks. Have you ever done any work on these????!!!
If I were to come to your country they would be high on my list, then followed by the coast, shore birds (particularly puffins) and peregrine falcons.

I promised my wife arctic canada first, probably up in Brian Makay's country!!
What a wonderful planet we live on!!
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Trustee

Hi Dale.
I've never got the chance to get one of these birds on tape, but I've seen them. They are not easy to find and they do live in a wide aeria/habitat.
There are also limitations to what we're aloud to do when they are nesting/breeding, how near we're aloud to go etc.

In Norway we have a coaster, "Hurtigruta". It's called the worlds most beautiful sea journey, and goes from Bergen, to North Cape and Svalbard.
Here's a link: http://www.hurtigruten.com/en/default.aspx
Every day one boat starts from Bergen on it's way north, and one boat starts in Kirkenes on it's way south. It's a regular route, but the tourist love this special sea cruise.

Well, I live almost on the same latitude as Brian, but because of The Gulf Stream, we have a different (mild) clima. What I've seen from Brians uwol films I think it's a beautiful place he lives in.
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Norway has a history of gyrfalcons and northern goshawks. Have you ever done any work on these????!!!
If I were to come to your country they would be high on my list, then followed by the coast, shore birds (particularly puffins) and peregrine falcons.

I promised my wife arctic canada first, probably up in Brian Makay's country!!
What a wonderful planet we live on!!
Dale,
The Gyrfalcons are breeding in the mountains and coast-region in South-Norway and a few in North-Norway, there are only registered 200-300 pair left and still decreasing!
The Northern Goshawks is more common, I have seen it quite often but I don't think I got it on tape yet!

Geir Inge, maybe we should start up a wildlifephotographer travel agency here in Norway, seems like we already have some customers from the UWOL-team!
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #12
Trustee

Per Johan, That would be something to think about. Uwol wildlife agancy :)

Here's a link to a online live videocamera of the Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus).

It's on our nathional TV channel NRK.
http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/258514

Last edited by Geir Inge; June 11th, 2007 at 07:02 AM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land