Runde, the southernmost bird-cliff in Norway at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #1
Trustee

Runde, the southernmost bird-cliff in Norway

As promised in a previous thread, here is a new video from the famous bird-cliff Runde, located at the western coast of Norway.

This video show a lot of different sea birds but also the beauty of the western coastline in our country.
This is a very popular place for wildlifephotographers, where you can get real good close-up of the Puffin.

Link to the video: http://www.video-film.no/snutter/runde1.html

You can also download a mov-file:
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/runde-island.mov (34.1 MB)
Please right-click and Save target as...

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Runde, the southernmost bird-cliff in Norway-puffin.jpg  
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Per Johan,

I very much enjoyed you short of rundle!! I thought you did great on the shot from the moving boat (it was a boat right?), it shows some movement but no more than it really should to demonstrate that is what you were doing.
I loved the stellars sea eagle!! That is what you call a white tailed sea eagle,,,,,, eh?? the first one seemed to be immature as it did not show the white tail, which if I recall takes several years to come in. Is that correct???

I had a rare find today. was driving to a wedding job 135 miles away. We turned off a dirt trail to find a remote bush to water. there spotted a nest with a white fronted bird in it. turned out to be an Osprey nest. There is no large water for at least 20 miles. Here in the prairies they are usually only a migrant visitor. We hope to get back there in the next few weeks!!! Unfortunately our next three weekends are all busy doing video jobs, uggg!! Hope they are still about when I can get to them!!!

Again, thanks for sharing!!!

Oh yea, it is totally cool seeing raptors from above!!!
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Per Johan,

I very much enjoyed you short of rundle!! I thought you did great on the shot from the moving boat (it was a boat right?), it shows some movement but no more than it really should to demonstrate that is what you were doing.
I loved the stellars sea eagle!! That is what you call a white tailed sea eagle,,,,,, eh?? the first one seemed to be immature as it did not show the white tail, which if I recall takes several years to come in. Is that correct???
I often use the word Sea Eagle (norwegian: Havørn) when I see one. Yes it seems that the first one is a youngster. The Sea Eagle hunt for smaller birds on this island. Especially the Kittiwake seem to be an easy prey. I'm not sure but I think it has to be that the Kittiwake is very easy to get near, they are not afraid of man and maybe not bird of prey either?
The footage from the boat is made handheld, thats why you see some movement. It's not easy to get a rock steady shoot from a small boat, in this case a small fishingboat. Even the sea was very calm, there are always some waves to concern about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post

Oh yea, it is totally cool seeing raptors from above!!!
LOL, this was a first time experience for me too!!
Pretty strange to stand approx. 150 m above a hunting Sea Eagle. BTW I did watch the Sea Eagle catch a Kittiwake during my stay, but unfortunately I didn't manage to film it.

I have a wish to go back to the island Runde later this summer. When the Puffin get offspring they come back with the bill filled with small fish. This happend late June and to middle of July. I would also like to have some more time to film the other species like Sea Eagle, Shag, Razor-Bill, Northern Gannet in more details. Time will show.
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Trustee

Very nice Per Johan.
I just have to mention that the weather is still on our side :)
I'll give you a call when the puffin chicks are out of theire eggs.
If the weather still holds on to Tuesday I'll take my canoe to Storholmen where we spot the White-tale eagle and the Raven.

Today I've been on a beautiful tour (with my family) to a mountain dairy, I was godfather to my nephew's little girl and the worship service was outdoor. One of those few days I didn't bring my camera with me, something I regret. The scenary was outstanding. But as Arnold says: I'll be back :)
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Major Player

A new aspect of Per Johan's videography ... in Arctic winter your footage is snowbound & relatively bright and in high summer you turn down the light and your footage is remarkably dark, or so it seems, apart from the colourful puffin shots.

Was this deliberate editorial decision and what was your reasoning, Per?

Whatever the reasoning, thanks for another discovery trip to Norway.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Per Johan

Now that you have had the XLH1 for a while, how are you liking it compered to the XL2

Iam finding the longer i use the camera the better it gets
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell View Post
.... and in high summer you turn down the light and your footage is remarkably dark, or so it seems, apart from the colourful puffin shots.

Was this deliberate editorial decision and what was your reasoning, Per?
The light was so bright and the sky was so nice that I decided to step down the shutter. I've also used CPL-filter to darken the sky and emphasize the blue. My intention was to get as much details of the sky without burning it off. As long as I use a circular CPL this cause the ground details to get a little too dark, but this was a trade-off decicion I made.

So yes, this was intended to get the special mood, I'm not sure if I succeded?

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; June 12th, 2007 at 02:40 AM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Thomas View Post
Hi Per Johan

Now that you have had the XLH1 for a while, how are you liking it compered to the XL2

Iam finding the longer i use the camera the better it gets
Ian, I'm very pleased with the XLH1. After 6 months of extensive use, under tough conditions, I must say that this is the camcorder for the indipendant wildlife filmmaker!
The camcorder has proved it's ability to work in sustained cold winter conditions, under relative humid conditions, and in high summer temperature +30 degrees celsius (maybe not too warm for other regions of the world ;-)
Like the XLH1 the XL2 is in my opinion one of the best SD camcorders in the marked. I have not shoot any SD footage with the XLH1 so I can not give you any opinions about which of them gives you the best SD footage! But both have the strong build body, which is really important when you are doing wildlife filming.
The picture quality of the XLH1 is top of it's class. I often get a wow, when I return to my home and are sitting at my 39" HD-TV looking at all the details this camcorder is able to give you. The sharpness and colors is very impressive. Of course there are some limitation regarding the 4.2.0 colorspace but when you improve your own skills and you get familiar with this limitations you often find ways to solve it in the way you are filming!

And the big + for both camcorders is it's ability to use external ef-lenses wich is very important for wildlife filmmakers!
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #9
Trustee

OK, thats it. Now I know for sure our next trip is Norway. What a great way for the rest of us to see and enjoy Norway. Between you and Geir I feel as if I have already been there. What a lovely country you live in. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #10
Trustee

WOW...wow, wow ! Hey you guys keep making this place look better and better.....great sequences Per. All those seabird species in one place...and what a place.

Hey Per how far is Runde from Haugesund ? I looked on a route planner but got confused by the names!

Also, although I'm sure it is expensive but roughly how much is a weeks car hire (small hatchback)? And are there plenty of camp sites in Norway?

Cheers fella
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
Hey Per how far is Runde from Haugesund ? I looked on a route planner but got confused by the names!

Also, although I'm sure it is expensive but roughly how much is a weeks car hire (small hatchback)? And are there plenty of camp sites in Norway?
Hi Mat.
I'm not Per, but as I'm living close to Runde I'll give you some links to get from Haugesund to Runde.

Road map/planner: http://visveg.vegvesen.no

Rent a car in Haugesund:
http://www.europcar.no/
http://www.europcar.no/tools/framese...le=NO&CNTRY=NO

On your way from Haugesund to Runde you have to pass some Toll Plazas :)
You'll find the prize in the planner.
If you come to Norway/Runde, let me know and I'll be your guide.
I'm living 40 minutes drive from Runde.

Geir Inge

Last edited by Geir Inge; June 12th, 2007 at 08:23 AM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #12
Trustee

Wow, another customer for our Wildlife Travel Agency, Geir Inge ;-)

Mat, note that the best season for Runde is now and until beginning/middle of July. Soon the Puffin start to feed their youngster with fish, which they bring back from the sea carrying it in the bill, as this picture:
http://foto.no/cgi-bin/bilder/vis_bi...rid=&kategori= (copyright by a friend of mine Carsten Arnholm)

BTW, don't forget that the Muskox at Dovrefjell is only 3 hours drive from Runde, luckily Norway is a small country but with a great scenery and wildlife :-)
I will gladly be your guide at Dovrefjell, Mat!
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #13
Trustee

Ok guys, many thanks for this info and for your guiding offers, hey the Musk Ox would be great, when do they calf? I'm going to do some more mooching and see what the girlfriend thinks about this.

How about Orcas guys, wheres good for Orca sighting from shore and possible boat trips... ?

Oh and the camping... unfortunately budget wouldnt be great for this trip so it would have to be camping....are there plenty of camp sites available around Norway at this time of year?
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #14
Trustee

The orcas is a bit further north. Best place will be Tysfjord:
http://www.tysfjord-turistsenter.no/safari/english/

It's a bit up there from Runde:
http://www.tysfjord-turistsenter.no/..._get_here.html
so you may need a day or two to drive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land