The Lake of the Cranes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 12th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Trustee

The Lake of the Cranes - video!

Once again a new video online!

This time I've put online some footage from Hornborgasjön in south-western part of Sweden.
This Lake is a resting and breeding place for wetland birds and from middle of March to middle of April, thousands of Cranes are resting at the Lake before they migrate further up north of Scandinavia.

1. of April this year 12.500 Cranes was registered in one single day!
When I arrived 15. of April only 3000 was left, but I managed to get some nice footage anyway.

For me this was a new experience, as this was my first time to the Lake, and I will definitive go back again next year for more footage!

Link to the film:
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/crane1.html

You may also download a QT-file:
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/crane.mov (31.4 MB)
please rightclick and save target as...

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
The Lake of the Cranes-crane.jpg  

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; June 12th, 2007 at 04:57 PM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #2
Trustee

"Himalayas" what a beautiful video, Per Johan.
That close up of the crane was awesome.
One month from now, I'm on my way to Sweden on holiday, but I'll be staying a bit south of Hornborgasjön.

Now you just have to come up with something from Kvamsoy too :)

Geir Inge
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Watch a crane wink & then some

A monument to nature videography.

All the width in beautiful colours. Contrasting scenes on horizontal and slope of groups and individuals. Not enough flight but dammit look at the detail in sharp focus. Wonderful.

No wonder I'll be trying to drag you elsewhere on another thread, when you're finished with high season of Guided Videography Tours of Scandinavia, of course ..
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #4
New Boot

Hello Per,
It is always a great way to start my day....watching one of your new videos! You have done it again. Beautiful scenes, some almost surreal, and gorgeous close ups.
I went to your website to look at past videos...again. The grouse footage is fantastic! Not just stunning images, but wildlife behavior as well...that is truly what I believe great wildlife film making is all about. And hey, you could have entered that footage in the last UWOL contest, calling it something like...."Wild Thing, You Make My Grouse Sing" ! Wonderful stuff. Keep it coming!

Regards,
j.
Jeff Swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Swick View Post
Hello Per,
It is always a great way to start my day....watching one of your new videos! You have done it again. Beautiful scenes, some almost surreal, and gorgeous close ups.
Thanks Jeff, I try my best to give you a small view of this beautiful part of the world that I'm living at. And there are so much I haven't done yet, stay tuned...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Swick View Post
I went to your website to look at past videos...again. The grouse footage is fantastic! Not just stunning images, but wildlife behavior as well...that is truly what I believe great wildlife film making is all about. And hey, you could have entered that footage in the last UWOL contest, calling it something like...."Wild Thing, You Make My Grouse Sing" ! Wonderful stuff. Keep it coming!

Regards,
j.
Well, for me the UWOL-challenge is a way to improve my filmmaking skills. Therefore I only use original footage shoot specific for the challenge. To have a limited time to write a manuscript, shoot and edit is essential to improve myself. The weather can go bad and other situations can cause you to not get what you thought when you wrote the script. You have to find new ways to shoot and often you need to improvise. To find new ways to carry through my filmproject is what I find the most important for this challenge. In other words: I challenge myself!
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Per

Blimey fella you certainly churn it out !! Some great footage here....are those sunsetscapes graded in post?

I'm unsure about your editing. All the big closeups sat together in one place and dwell too long and things didnt seem to follow any specific ordering or pattern. Also some of the music didn't fit for me, when you jump to the flight sequence I was expecting to see an eagle or something dramatic.

Anyway, fantastic footage as usual. I am so jealous of your area of the world it looks truely rich in wildlife and some great species.

Great stuff Per :)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #7
Trustee

Mat, Scandinavia is waiting for you ;-)

I have not done anything in post, the footage is straight out of the camcorder!
I use the excellent preset from Steven Dempsey Disjecta (cpf #10), which emphasize the colors very well. And in some of the shoots I've used a CPL-filter

My editing is my poorest part of my wildlife-films. And I totally agree that there are some editing flaws in this film. Often I just sit down in front of my pc and throw together some footage to put online. The good thing is that I have the footage on tape and my editing skill is something I can/will work with to improve.

And I appreciate very much your comments to my films dear fellows! So please feel free to comment your opinion.
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Per johan,

finally got the time to down load your video. First, I am amazed at the quality of video you put on line!!

I liked it all and I did not mind the music.

The close up of the Crane with its head bobbing around and out of the frame was perhaps the weakest link in my opinion.

I have forgotten, which sound software are you using?
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #9
Trustee

Per Johan,

Really nice work. I actually thought the music worked well.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land