Some Macro Fun at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Some Macro Fun

I haven't been able to get out in the field as much as I would like to, so I have been looking around the yard for opportunities. I have always loved macro photography, and I have started to do a little with video. Attached is a short clip of a Fiery Skipper I got this afternoon. Camera is a XL H1 with a Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 + Nikon TC14A (1.4x) + ND 2X filter. The video capture was down converted to SD. Shot around 2:30 with clear skies and bright sun slightly over my shoulder. I was full out on the zoom.

Sorry about the screen size of the wmv clip, but they haven't fixed the dimension specification for wmv files, which is still 320x240. If your size exceeds either one of these dimensions, your upload will fail, even though you haven't exceeded the file size limit. Go figure why they are still stuck in a 4:3 world....
Attached Files
File Type: wmv fiery_skipper-2a.wmv (1.77 MB, 254 views)
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Don,

What a rush seeing the moth!! When I was a child living in Encino (45 minutes south of you) We used to capture these and use them for live bait when we went fishing, very illegal but as a small kid we did not know. They were the deadliest bait ever used!!

I have been getting more interested in the macro end of video!! So, I very much appreciate your posting the short clip!! How does it look at full resolution. could you post a snap if full rsolution?

thank you for sharing.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Dale,
Yes it's a blast when you can shoot interesting things around the garden and not spend a fortune on gas getting there. Here are some video grabs from the SD footage of the skipper, spider, which is the size of a small pea, and a snail I got this morning. I ran them through Photoshop to adjust the levels and bump the contrast slightly, but the skipper and snail are still only 72dpi jpg's. The spider is a 72dpi bmp. If anyone would like to have me send a wmv of the snail, no problem. The file size and dimension won't let me upload it, and you really can't enjoy it at 320x180. don@birdsdesjardin.com
Attached Thumbnails
Some Macro Fun-fiery_skipper-2.jpg   Some Macro Fun-garden_snail.jpg  

Some Macro Fun-spider4c.bmp  
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Don,

On the day you posted this, I missed out on one while at a shoot! Was getting eye level to the subject when it flew off onto another perch.

Nice video though I would have preferred some eye contact.

Cheers

Han
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #5
Major Player

I would have loved to get down low enough to get some eye contact, but I had other important things to do that day, so I didn't spend a lot of time on the set up. I wasn't at full zoom, and I could have zoomed in close enough to get just the eye. Next morning though, I worked a few garden snails, and this is some of what I got.

Bummer......
I tried to upload a 320x180 2mb wmv file and it failed to upload. Yeo Wee Han, if you interested in seeing this clip, feel free to contact me at:

don@birdsdesjardin.com

I bet you have some really neat bugs to video in your part of the world...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land