UWOL #5 "Cinco" by Bruce Foreman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL #5 "Cinco" by Bruce Foreman

Link to a full quality WMV longer version, 6:49. Compression is not my friend on the 3 minute version.

http://files.filefront.com/Cinco_and.../fileinfo.html

I've known Mike since the mid 1970's, he was Army and I was Air Force and we got to be good friends. This film is based on a real incident, Cinco got stung by wasps, reared way up and with Mike in the saddle, lost his balance. Both went over backwards and Mike is really lucky the horse didn't fall on him.

Cinco recovered quickly and stood over Mike until Mike could start moving again and painfully pull up into the saddle, Cinco then brought him back.

I had 3 hours with Mike, he is extremely busy and I was lucky to get that time. End of the day, light was changing rapidly and with all the prep on the horse I was lucky to have one hour of filming time.

Had one chance for a take with Mike on the ground and ONLY ONE. I quickly realized we were dealing with a nervous horse who just did not like Mike on the ground. So I shot it once and didn't push the issue. I really wanted to show Cinco walking over to Mike but we couldn't keep him far enough away to do that.

He stood over Mike and kept his eye on me and the camera.

I had a lot of fun with this one. Once done with the shooting Cinco was neat to get to know.

Done with a Panasonic PV GS500 with all low camera angles handheld and the rest tripod mounted. I use the ProCinema mode which tends to run a bit darker due to muting of colors and contrast. All of the audio was captured with the Rode StereoVideoMike on a bracket so it is over the camera.

Edited in Pinnacle Studio Plus 11.1 and the music is "Mountain Mist" from the SmartSound "Grass Roots" album.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Oops

On the link provided above, the streaming window loses the 16:9 aspect ratio and "squashes" horizontally.

If you use the "Download Now" button you do have to wait a bit but the quality is better.
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Bruce,
I really enjoyed watching Cinco and Mike. Everything was sharp and well-composed. The audio was crisp and easy to listen to. The best part, however, was Mike's acting. His limp, the way he treated his back, and his breathing were all totally convincing. Congratulations.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks, Steve.

Yes, Mike's acting really made it work. One reason his acting was so good was he could relive every bit of the pain of bruised and cracked ribs along with an injured knee.

He even tried not going to the ER for an hour or so when he got home but his wife had to call an ambulance.

The horse was great, too. The way he took a protective stance over Mike when I had him lie down was something else.
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #5
Trustee

Bruce, liked your entry very much! Cinco seem to be a very vice horse and Mike's acting was good too.

All shooting, editing and narrating was top notch, nicely done!
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

Great story and acting from Mike - who has a terrific character.

Your footage is really sharp, which I notice you always seem to get in your entries. Great stuff. I probably would take your camera off the auto exposure setting though, as the iris appeared to be exposing for the sky in most of the film. Mike's cowboy hat didn't help with the exposure issues either.

The music choice was excellent and so was the sound - given Mike's position from the camara at times, which would have made this difficult.

Bruce, can't quite place what it is exactly, but I always like watching your films. Well done!
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Bruce, you really delivered this time!
Very well done!
The great acting, crisp video and audio has already been mentioned by the others, I'll second their comments.

Actually I liked the way it was shot, with exposure for the sky and Mike as a silhouette.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Ahh. A man and his horse. A true story of two mammals working together for each other's benefit. I enjoyed this one Bruce ! I did 48Hour film festival a couple of months back, and we got assigned a western. Wished we had that horse !!
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #9
Trustee

Bruce:

This is your best. I thought this was excellent. The music choice was perfect. Reading other's comments, they think that Mike "Eastwood" Wyse was acting. I am stunned that you had such short filming time and this of all things happened. Thank goodness Mike was okay! He was engaging and interesting and has a voice that is easy to listen to, not to mention a sense of humor.

Your filming and editing was top notch. You give the real western feel to your films. Nicely done.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #10
Trustee

Hey Bruce

Something a bit different for uwol but interesting. You can really see how much Mike loves that horse and the real partnership between them which is of course what you've set out to show...so well done. I thought a couple of the shot sequences vut have been shaved down a bit and I'd have like to see some difference in the colour grading or visual effect when Mike is acting out the story. This would have separated things out nicely and added a bit more flavour at the same time.

Nice peice fella.

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gemmell View Post
Hi Bruce,

I probably would take your camera off the auto exposure setting though, as the iris appeared to be exposing for the sky in most of the film. Mike's cowboy hat didn't help with the exposure issues either.
You're correct on that, I need to go into manual mode even if I don't change it myself. That would have prevented the exposing for the sky for sure. I was able to correct for that in post but the compression did not like the adjustments and I chose to let it go a bit dark to get away from the color "strobing" I got with compression.

Funny thing about Mike's hat. He lay down with the hat and his eyeglasses in place. I asked him, "Mike, did your glasses and hat stay with you when you hit?" He said they did, so we shot it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gemmell View Post

Bruce, can't quite place what it is exactly, but I always like watching your films. Well done!
Thank you. Getting this kind of compliment is like winning a prize after all. Means a lot to me. That is, on top of being involved in these events with folks like you.
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
Bruce:

Reading other's comments, they think that Mike "Eastwood" Wyse was acting.
Yeah. He was "reliving" it. Almost hated to ask him to do that but I think he really liked the idea of doing it as a "tribute" to Cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
I am stunned that you had such short filming time and this of all things happened. Thank goodness Mike was okay! He was engaging and interesting and has a voice that is easy to listen to, not to mention a sense of humor.
Mike has always been this way, as long as I've known him. I was totally unprepared for the "pretty ugly" quip. Had I known that was coming I would have framed better for both him and Cinco. As it was I had set up for just Cinco when Mike got partway in the frame and that happened.

When I originally asked him over the phone to do this project for me, I mentioned that his name would be featured in the credits.

He said, "I want you to be sure you spell my last name right".

I figured I would get a reminder it was W-Y-S-E and not W-I-S-E. He then stated that most people spelled Eastwood wrong. I had to try to get him to put that in the film...It's Mike.
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #13
Major Player

Good little video.Nothing like being on a farm.Dont know if anyone else noticed but the rope around Cinco's neck when he is in the barn,is a match for Mikes shirt.Loved the story nice work Bruce.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #14
Major Player

This was a very fun film to watch. I thought Mike and Cinco did a great job reliving the bad experience, and the emotion of both came through very well. I used to work with horses, and I can tell from your film Cinco is a really nice horse. And Mike "Eastwood" has a future in Hollywood. Maybe he can work for Eastwood the director in a new genre of westerns featuring him and Cinco. The Good, the Bad, and the Pretty Ugly?! Great job.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #15
Trustee

Ok, so we had a little problem with our internet conection today, but now I'm back in business.

Great film Bruce, in my opinion your best uwol film.
A true story that show us this wonderful relationship between man and his horse. Also that you got a great friend in Mike helping you out as an actor, he's the new John Wayne, eh :)
It shows we still have a lot to learn in the way animals behave to their owners. True and faithfull!
I'm an old musician and your choice of music fit the film. Super!
Only one thing though, the sky is great but it somehow take away focus from Mike at some places.
Still this is a great contribution to uwol#5.
Congratulation and well done.

All the best.
Geir Inge

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge