PJN_UC5_rejectedscenes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 8th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #1
Trustee

PJN_UC5_rejectedscenes

Hi all,
well I jump into it and here is my rejected scenes from "King of Dovrefjell" (original thread)

As a single producer with too many hats sometimes ;-) where a have to work as a camera-operator, sound-engineer, actor etc, etc, things go wrong many many times during a shooting day.
Here is a short where you can watch some of the clips. You can catch me jump into the tank several times.
http://www.video-film.no/snutter/rejected.mov

Some of my own comments to my rejected film:

Scene #1: Always study carefully what's in front of the lens before shooting, that small straw was tiny but very destracting! I didn't notice this before I was home going through the footage!

Scene #2: Have a blackout in front of the camera, I don't think I'm the first one ;-)

Scene #3: It was veeery windy...

Scene #4: Say cheese... it's very difficult to get this proper on first try. You often overdue the zoom, anyway I didn't use this scene at all in my finished film.

Scene #5: This could have been a disaster! The camcorder falls to the ground. Luckily there was very soft where it hit the ground. I only used a monopod on my small HV-10 which is my B-roll camcorder. Nice to see that it was working after the hit!

Scene#6: Well I think the picture tells it all, it's windy, it's cold, my fingers are stiff. It's not easy to control every movements you do. First I tried to do some handheld recordings without any luck. Thereafter the wind and blowing snow made it almost impossible to look into the viewfinder for adjustments.

Enjoy!
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Interesting and funny stuff Per. I know the feeling of that wind from UC3 the wild. It was just SO annoying losing so much footage to it.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Per Johan.
First of all I have to say it took me 3 hours to download your rejected, it's my lousy internet connection.
Now I have seen it and I think your showing some clips I feel familiar with :)
I know all about forgetting the text/lyrics, so to speak and I'll give some examples in my own rejected files as soon as I can get it uploaded.
You made me laugh, the scene by the river/creek when you're filling your cup with water. I use a tine LCD monitor for these scenes (just a cheap one), it's easier to locate yourself in the picture. I also try to get me a stick of some kind at my size/hight and stick it to the ground on the place I will be standing in front of the camera, focus and adjusting the picture. It works, but I guess there isn't much of such things way up on the mountain, at Dovrefjell.

Oh, when the camera falls to the ground, what a nasty situation, but I'm glad your camera did survive.
I love straws :) they are very cute little friends to film and I have a lot of them on tape :/

Your film show us how difficult it can be filming wildlife in the wilderness, nowhere to hide, nowhere to run when the storm sets in and of caurse the tripod dont like wind very much. I know you're carrying a heavy rucksack on your back. Not showing in this film but I've copied your way of carrying the tripod :) in the field.

I'm glad you made this film Per Johan as it shows what a struggle it can be out there - in the real wilderness.

Thank you for sharing my friend.

All the best
Geir Ine
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Per Johan.
Don't know what went wrong with this one, but sometimes we have to say things more than once :/

First of all I have to say it took me 3 hours to download your rejected, it's my lousy internet connection.
Now I have seen it and I think your showing some clips I feel familiar with :)
I know all about forgetting the text/lyrics, so to speak and I'll give some examples in my own rejected files as soon as I can get it uploaded.
You made me laugh, the scene by the river/creek when you're filling your cup with water. I know use a tiny LCD monitor for these scenes (just a cheap one), it's easier to locate yourself in the picture. Sometimes I try to get me a stick of some kind at my size/hight and stick it to the ground on the place I will be standing in front of the camera, focus and adjusting the picture. It works, but I guess there isn't much of such things way up on the mountain, at Dovrefjell.

Oh, when the camera falls to the ground, what a nasty situation, but I'm glad your camera did survive.
I love straws :) they are very cute little friends to film and I have a lot of them on tape :/

Your film show us how difficult it can be filming wildlife in the wilderness, nowhere to hide, nowhere to run when the storm sets in and of caurse the tripod dont like wind very much. I know you're carrying a heavy rucksack on your back. Not showing in this film but I've copied your way of carrying the tripod :) in the field.

I'm glad you made this film Per Johan as it shows what a struggle it can be out there - in the real wilderness.

Thank you for sharing my friend.

All the best
Geir Ine
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Per,

This was really funny and well done. It's nice to see I'm not the only one with obvious filming problems. The first film I did for UWOL, I had to edit out the rustles from us holding the script. This summer when I was shooting off a mini tripod my camera went over- luckily into soft grass. I rarely shoot myself in front of the camera, and when I do, often get shots like you showed, where I am not lined up right. Geir, I will have to try the stick trick. Though it's better to put Robin on instead- she's way more talented.

In your final film for UWOL I sensed the wind. But this outtake footage showed just how bad it was- wow, it is amazing you got as much great video as you did.

Thanks for sharing this, it really made me laugh!

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Trustee

Per,

Even with your rejected scenes you show class. I really enjoyed that, but wasn't it a bit cold for you to be getting wet?

How did you dry off so fast between takes?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Bruce,
the first day I had to change all clothing from inner to outer after my first trip to the mountain. This time of year I often have at least two set of clothing with me in case of weather change like this. My base camp is a small cottage where I can rest and with a fire place to dry my clothing.
This time of year is the worst periode to stay dry and warm when you hike. The weather change real rapidly from mild and rain to cold with snow and back again with some sun in the middle.
Later in the winter the conditions is much better when there are frost and more steady winter conditions. Even with temperature down to -20 degrees celsius and colder I like that much better than the weather this time of year. In winter I'm also much more mobile when I can use snowshoes and haul my equipment in a pulk/sleigh.

I will most certainly upload some more footage about this kind of technique for you to study. Stay tuned!
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Per,

I just loved watching and laughing at your rejected material. Your quotes gave us some insight into your sense of humour and character - and it's clear you have a wonderful sense of humour.

The shot of the camera shake had me in hysterics - although my father in laws home videos are quite similar, and it's not too funny (drives us all crazy watching his continual zooming and camera shake, plus the ground shots when he leaves the camera running)!

Gee, my heart nearly stopped watching the camera fall!

It really was a lot of fun and I really started to realise just how difficult the conditions are that you are filming in.

Congratulations on "King of the Mountain" - it is a real gem, especially after seeing what went into getting the footage.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
Thanks Bruce,
the first day I had to change all clothing from inner to outer after my first trip to the mountain. This time of year I often have at least two set of clothing with me in case of weather change like this. My base camp is a small cottage where I can rest and with a fire place to dry my clothing.
Actually I was poking fun at the "splash" each time you exited left. A neat touch, that was. But, yes, you do work under some very challenging conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
I will most certainly upload some more footage about this kind of technique for you to study. Stay tuned!
We'll all be watching for that.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Per Johan,

thank you for sharing. I had some good chuckles to be certain. Proof in how important proper clip selection is!!! I could post stuff like this all day. As they say, discretion is 9/10 of valor.

dale
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #11
Wrangler

ok, this was a hoot! thanks for posting it, per. it's nice to see one of our most talented shooters in struggle along with the rest of us.

the one that really made me laugh was the overexposed footage. "too much white"...

there's a lot of wind in the high country here, too, and it is a constant battle....

i'm glad to hear that you're putting some miles on the monopod that you won in UWOL #1. i have an HV10, too, and it's a great tool for that camera. (uh, even if it did fall over and almost wreck your 2nd cam, whoops....). but it's great to see the UWOL prizes in action! in the field, getting out there.

thanks for the outtakes.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge