DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Year-end UWOL sign-up thread...sign-up for UWOL #6 HERE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/106352-year-end-uwol-sign-up-thread-sign-up-uwol-6-here.html)

Benjamin Durin November 1st, 2007 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 767973)
you guys better post something, or i'm gonna have to fly on over there and finish your films myself!

Meryem, I just saw the theme, so when are you flying? I will load the tape for you!

Seriously now, I read the contest rules twice but I am still not sure what is allowed and what is not?
1) Documentaries and fictions are both accepted?
2) I guess inside walls shooting is forbidden. But shooting in a city is ok?

Sorry for these beginner questions,

Benjamin.

Meryem Ersoz November 1st, 2007 08:49 AM

the mantra is, this is "a nature and outdoors contest"

so conceivably, say you were doing a macro thing, you could shoot plants and bugs in your house. so that would be an example of "nature" in your own home...so i don't want to say, "no indoors...." if you get what i mean.

(say now, there's an interesting night theme right there!!! with artificial light conveniently available, where is my tabletop tripod, i'm getting right on it....this NIGHT thing is gonna be a breeze!)

so shooting a city is okay, but i think you want to emphasize the city from a "nature and outdoors" perspective...

really, truly, we are quite liberal about our interpretations of things. this is a vehicle for helping you to make films of your surroundings. ("get out there and shoot something!") we provide the torture, in the form of the theme, but you get to be the creative agent of it.

if you're out to actually win this puppy--some of our contestants are more motivated by the prospect than others--a 50% weight is given to the theme in the judging.

(my feeling is that if you want to shoot and post whatever you want, we have the existing "under water, over land" or "show your work" non-contest forums--in fact, we hope that by entering a few of these, that you develop more skills and the confidence to post in the others....)

i hope this helps, i'm happy to answer clarifying questions, so don't be afraid to ask.

yes to both docs and stories. form matters less than the context--"this is a nature and outdoors contest"--keep that in your head and you'll be fine!

wow, travelocity to taiwan, very expensive!

Chris Barcellos November 1st, 2007 10:34 PM

"The World vs Norway"

Chris, this sounds like a huge challenge from sunny California.
The vikings will be ready, hahahaha

I can't wait to the international uwol tour when we all together will get a chance to make videos from Australia, USA, Norway.... or wherever we visit.
It is great to see how many countries are represented in this uwol family."

Trond:

I am really enjoying seeing what we get to see from around the world. Its great to see how different we are but how much the same we all are at the same time....I'm just happy to be tagging along on this little adventure....

Trond Saetre November 2nd, 2007 03:40 AM

Chris,
Yes I agree with you. I am very happy to be part of this uwol friendship.
Good luck with your entry. I'm looking forward to see what you produce this time.