Judging Tips for UWOL #6...and a chance to Win a free UWOL t-shirt! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Wrangler

Judging Tips for UWOL #6...and a chance to Win a free UWOL t-shirt!

I'm posting this a little prematurely, because we are coming up on a major US holiday, and I know that holiday scheduling can get tricky.

Remember, we are judging this internally this round. Every player who posts a UWOL #6 entry is qualified to judge. Send me your top 3 picks to uwol@comcast.net. Assign 3 points to your 1st choice, 2 points to your 2nd, and 1 point to your third. Most total points wins the round. Try to write up your evaluation as we expect our outside judges to write an evaluation, and I will publish anonymously some of the best comments on the winning entries. Reminder: You can't vote for your own entry.

Also, we are having a free t-shirt giveaway to the person who assigns the most thoughtful commentary on any of the top three films. And we are going to open this aspect of the judging to anyone, anyone at all, finisher, shark-tanker, interested by-stander, kibbitzer, anyone who wants to participate in the UWOL Challenge as a film critic by generating excellent commentary for our top contenders is invited to vie for the free UWOL shirt. Just send me an e-mail at uwol@comcast.net with the words "Judging UWOL" in the subject line (so that I don't filter it).

All votes and comments must be received by Sunday November 25 to be considered valid.

The t-shirt design is shaping up and looking good. Our design guru, Mat, is getting close with his design....

PARAMETERS FOR JUDGING:

50% of your judging should be weighed towards production values (shooting,
editing, lighting, audio, composition, cinematography, motion, etc.)
50% of your judging should focus on the use of the theme (did the entry hit the
mark, its creativity, the ability to work the theme, approach, etc.)

Remember that this is a nature and outdoors contest, and it is also important
that the winning entry should also reflect the overall spirit of the event...if you have any questions, see
our mission statement and our website at to get a feel for that spirit:

www.uwolchallenge.com

Oh, and one final note: CONGRATULATIONS TO THIS YEAR'S UWOL RING OF FAME!
The following players earned their free t-shirts by finishing all six UWOL Challenges this year:

Geir Inge
Gordon Hoffman
Brian Mckay
Bruce Foreman
Chris Barcellos
Per Johan
Ruth Happel
Dale Guthormsen

You folks did amazing, amazing work. Congratulations and thank you for your awesome contribution to building the most excellent community of nature and outdoors shooters on the planet.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Wrangler

one overlooked instruction--my entries are always non-competitive, so "Insomnia" is not eligible for voting. I guess I have been doing this for long enough, that I take it for granted that everyone already knows this....

I'm thrilled that someone gave it a 2nd place finish yesterday, however, I had to reject this kindness and request a replacement.

ooooo, that was hard! now I know how you competitors feel!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #3
Trustee

Well guys,
It's Sunday night here in Oz, so i've just submited my top 3. Boy was that an effort!!! I wish i was judging snow skiing, that would have been a lot easier for me as i spent 11 ski seasons as an instructor in the snow fields in Australia, & Austria, so looking at someones skiing and being able to give them consice feedback on how they could improve it would have been a whole lot easier. Having said that, i definately learnt a heck of a lot about my own skiing in the process of teaching others to ski.
Athough the process of judging was a challenge in itself, i think the excercise will make us all think more about the way we as the "film makers" go about making our films.
At the rate Meryem is thowing up all these challenges to the group, i'm sure everyones films will be going from strength to strength.

Good luck to all,

Bryce.
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Being a judge is NOT an easy job!!!

I'm sitting here watching all the video's over and over again, trying to come up with the 3 best. The only problem is, all of the videos have something special. Makes me look at the videos in a totally different way than I used to. The judging is fun, but even harder than to make the video itself.

GOOD LUCK with the judging everyone!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge