UWOL #7: "Search for the Real Vampire Duck" by Victor Wilcox at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #7: "Search for the Real Vampire Duck" by Victor Wilcox

Well this challenge was and adventure. This is the first time I've done a screen play. I spotted these really strange looking ducks at the park (actually Egyptian geese). I'd never seen that type before. Their eyes made me think of a vampire. After goggling "vampire duck" I was reminded of the "Count Duckula" series. I decided to do a search for a real vampire duck.

My wife Debbie was going to play my investigative reporter, but teachers never seem to have any free time. I got her in one scene, then had to change the script, since I lost my voice over source. With time running out, I just used titles for the lines.

I know, it's a little corny, but it was a fun learning exercise.

I shoot the video in Spring, TX at Meyer Park using a Sony HVR-A1U. Hopefully my audio will be better next time. I finally got my “Wind Cutter” on the last day of shooting.

I’ll post a link as soon as I get the HD version up on my web site.

I can’t wait to see all the great videos.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Major Player

The video clips are available at the links below:

428 x 240 30p MOV (53.5 MB)
http://www.wilcoxvideoproductions.co...ampireDuck.mov

1920 x 1080 30p HD WMV (175 MB)
http://www.wilcoxvideoproductions.co...ampireDuck.wmv

1440 x 1080 60i HDV M2T (572 MB)
http://www.wilcoxvideoproductions.co...ampireDuck.m2t
Old February 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Trustee

Ouch! For some reason I just lost everything I posted as a reply! Anyway trying somewhat again...

Victor! Being somewhat of a kindred spirit with a theme around a duck I just had to see your's first! I loved this! What a wonderful film! I watched this from beginning to end with a smile on my face. I have never seen Egyptian Geese before, thanks to you! And thanks to Rob for identifying them for us! Oh how that moon was almost full, what would have happened then? This was cute and fun and upbeat and beautiful. Was that a beaver also termed as a ... (checking on the name of this animal is how I lost everything in my reply!).

Thanks for the effort in this.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

ahh, another one I cannot play. It just locks up on the page and gives me the big Q-you. I'll comment when I see it.

more anticipation.....

I got it to play using Flip4mac as a WMV.

This one was fun, it should be shown to kids too, as it has the feel of a children's book. Nice footage, the star effect worked well in the water as the nutria swam away(was that in post?) and the birds were quite amusing as well.

Last edited by Adrinn Chellton; February 24th, 2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: got it to play
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #5
Trustee

Victor, your first screen play!? I think you did a good job on this one! You showed us some birds which is not common where I live and it was very interesting to watch.
There was som minor flaws in transtions between clips, where you could actually done som smoother transition both with sound and picture. I think you know what I mean?
Overall an interesting piece to watch. Keep up your good work!
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #6
Major Player

I hade a problem viewing this film, some framed just froze up (of was it suppose to do that?), I try watch this film from the UWOL website later. Some ideas… you could have done a have body shot on the reporter and put the text above the camera so we didn’t se the paper. The way you used the music on the “silent animals” was a bit distraction, maybe a silent natural sound would have worked better. Well, I watch this one again and se if it don’t freeze up.

Makrus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #7
Major Player

Nice way to get some bird footage into your presentation. Those Egyptian Geese really do look like vampires with their black eyes, and I enjoyed your premise. Too bad you couldn't have found a dead egret somewhere to finish the story...maybe a pile of white feathers? Looking forward to your next entry.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Trustee

Victor,

Another fun enjoyable film.

You had some really good footage in there.
Loved the shot of the mockingbird and the squirrel peeking around the tree combined with the text was perfect! It played just right for your story.

Like Markus mentioned a head and shoulders shot would have played better for the reporter. Also some cutaways of the lake with the VO would have broken it up a bit.

I think you held the shot of the mockingbird a bit long though. A few beats after the text faded you could have gone into the next shot and that would have tightened it up a bit.

I think the first music was a bit country and campy compared to the second song which I thought suited the whole vampire theme a lot better.

Like Per mentioned some of the transitions like of the cardinal and then the cardinal taking flight were a little rough.

Your film reminded me of something that when fleshed out a bit more could certainly be something fun for kids to watch on a Saturday morning.
So, I think you had the spirit of Count Duckula beside you on this one.

it certainly was a fun, entertaining film!
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #9
Wrangler

you sure packed a lot of critters into this piece and integrated all of them in a very clever way that fit the storyline...

my main criticism is that the reporter voice and feel had a different voice and feel than the titles...you should have just committed to one or the other, to keep it consistent, it would have tightened it up a bit. i kind of prefer the titles, actually, for the element of humor they introduce and the way they make the animals the source of the "lore" of the vampire duck.

one of the things i love about UWOL is the constant education on the natural world...egyptian goose, who knew? and it is interesting that the EG seems to have made a happy home in texas, straight out of the UK. most interesting.

nice footage, i rather enjoyed the long take on the mockingbird shot, mostly because it gave me time to appreciate the nice, contrasty color in that shot...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #10
Major Player

First a big well done in getting your wife to be the voice for your movie...ok first part any way.As everyone has mentioned,nice bird footage.entertaining video to watch
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
and it is interesting that the EG seems to have made a happy home in texas, straight out of the UK. most interesting.
Even more interesting, it's also an alien species here - it's actually native to Africa!!! They do get about a bit ;-)

Victor, I was just sat in the breakout room at lunch watching this, I actually broke out in laughter and got some rather strange looks from everyone. Rather than trying to explain I was watching a film about vampire ducks, I put my head down and kept watching. I felt that perhaps the reporter intro could have been a little differrent, perhaps with a few more rehearsals would have done the trick - just felt a bit rushed.
Overall, it reminded me in essence of a guy called Johnny Morris, sadly passed away now - he presented a show called "animal magic" where he would use his big vocal range to mimic the voices of all the animals on screen with hugely comic results. I have great memories of this (no doubt he helped to introduce a whole generation to wildlife in an accessible way) - and your video has really brought that same feel. Thanks!!!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for all the comments

I'm really glad someone else saw the humor.

What can I say; Debbie is married to the producer.

Actually, I dragged her down to the park Friday evening. It was the first time the school teacher’s schedule and the weather cooperated and the light was almost gone. I was here first performance and we had no time to rehearse. Next time I’ll use cue cards. I think the crowd thought this was a real news case. I wish I’d thought of Catherine’s intro. It was great. I may use it for my remake. By the way, the beaver like animal was a nutria (plural, anyone know the singular form?).

I haven’t had time to view all the entries yet. I spent weekend with the producer’s wife and student’s at regional DI (Destiny Imagination) competition. More video...

Most of the comments were about what I expected. This is the first time I’ve use cuts without dissolves and reserved the dissolves for transitions. Something I read in “Video Maker” magazine. I’ll be going back to dissolves and longer dissolves for transitions. I didn’t care for the results. I’m eager to re-edit this one, now that there’s no deadline to meet.

FYI: all scenes except the reporter interview were shoot using the Sony VCL-HG2037Y 2x telephoto conversion lens.
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Victor,

Hugely enjoyable and just a lot of fun!!

You have some great footage!!

I really liked the shallow depth of field on numerous shots!! Was it just low light or was it planned?? Planned of course, eh?

Just a great idea for a story? what will you think of next!!!???

Last edited by Dale Guthormsen; February 25th, 2008 at 12:55 PM.
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Victor, this was really nice to watch. Well done.
Great to learn about new birds too.

As has been mentioned, I would have tried to hide the paper Debbie was reading, to make it a little more realistic. Now it was too obvious she was reading a manuscript.
Other than this, I think everything was put together very well.
Keep up the good work!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #15
Trustee

Nice film Victor and I liked that your wife helped you out.
Also like the way you speak to the animals/birds to solve the mystery.
Music and editing is all nicely done.
Thank you for sharing.

Geir Inge

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge